• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Conditional Tags to Include Specific Topics in a Build

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a conditional tag called DialogHelp in my project.

I've tried to build a version of the help that includes only the topics with this tag. However, when I compile, the resulting help has all of my topics in it.

According to the RoboHelp help, creating a build condition with this tag in it should generate help with only the tagged topics, yet this is not happening.

How can you generate a version of the help that includes only tagged topics?

Thank you!

Cindy

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Please see the Sticky Topic Before You Post and note the section Include the Edition and Version.

Generally in older versions Not expressions work best. In Topic List select all the topics not to be included (sort the list by tags and those with DialogHelp will be top or bottom, select the others and apply a different tag) and set the expression as NOT NewTag.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the Sticky Topic Before You Post and note the section Include the Edition and Version.

Generally in older versions Not expressions work best. In Topic List select all the topics not to be included (sort the list by tags and those with DialogHelp will be top or bottom, select the others and apply a different tag) and set the expression as NOT NewTag.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter! You always have an answer that we can use.

I'm using RoboHelp Classic 2019, so why is this still a problem? Do I have to use the new interface to correct it?

I do see this as a bug, as the software is not behaving as documented. Would it be correct to open a bug?

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have described is the way Classic has always worked. With 2019 now being the way forward, I can't see it changing in Classic.

No you don't have to change and it may be best to stick with Classic for the time being. Just work round the problem in the way I have suggested. Changing is a bigger learning curve.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to submit a bug.

The thing is, in an existing help project with a large number of topics, this solution is undesirable.

Thanks, Peter!

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bit to take into account is that untagged topics will always be included. That's why using NOT expressions works better.

Maybe this page on my site will explain it in detail. Build Expressions

In the new 2019, Adobe have set things up to change that so I'm thinking the response would be along the lines of Fixed in later version.

The fix I suggested takes seconds as you make the change in the Topic List.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to correct a statement I made earlier. 2019 does NOT change how expressions work, rather it makes them easier to write.

In the context of this thread, what that means is topics where the DialogHelp tag is applied will be included along with anything that does not have some other tag applied.

@Cynthia You stated According to the RoboHelp help, creating a build condition with this tag in it should generate help with only the tagged topics, yet this is not happening. I cannot find that. I am happy to be corrected if you can tell me which help topic says that.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One idea that might help.

Create a TOC with only the topics you want. In the output tick the Exclude Unreferenced Topics. Provided the topics you want don't have links to other topics that should give you what you want.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter:

The help topic should be "Advanced conditional build tag expressions."

Did I mis-interpret?

Also, I submitted a bug for this functionality and received a reply similar to yours from Adobe. I'll try it at some point and see if I get the desired results.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the bottom of that page is a note saying Topics and topic text to which you have applied no conditional build tag are included in the output.

That is what I have been saying. It takes seconds to apply some otherwise unused tag to all the topics except the ones you want. Then it will work.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I see here is what amounts to workarounds, which is what tagging 300+ topics would be, and which is not efficient, and takes a lot more than a few "seconds." When creating new content that is scattered throughout the project, tagging that new content with a conditional tag so that it can easily be compiled for review is the objective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are missing the easy way of tagging this.

1. The poster has already applied the tag that she wants included.
  2. In the Topic List you sort the display by Tag order. That way all other topics are in a straight run.
  3. You select all of them by clicking the first and last.
  4. Then apply a tag that is not used for anything else. That does take seconds.

Now when the poster generates she will get just the topics with DialogHelp applied.

How is it a workaround? The build includes the selected tag and all untagged topics. That's the way it is designed to work so this is a solution, not a workaround.

It sounds like you are thinking of doing this via Project Manager. That would be a slow way of doing it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Peter!

I am new to RoboHelp, and did not know you could sort the topics by tag. That makes sense, and that will work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp