Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using ‘WebHelp to CHM Converter’ script increases the size of the CHM file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rh CHM Gurus!

Please review below. Any suggestion, please educate.

Thank you all for your time.

~PM

Rh version: 11

Issue: Running the WebHelp to CHM Converter script increases the size of the CHM file

Example:

• Old chm file size = 15,425,068
  • New chm file size = 106,975,117

Questions:

1. Did the script include additional files that make up the WebHelp (used in an uncompiled HTML - in the essence, used to create a WebHelp web site)?
  2. Is there code to edit the WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx?

My WebHelp Settings are as follows:

webhelp_settings.jpg

webhelp_settings2.jpg

webhelp_settings3.jpg

webhelp_settings4.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the old chm file size really the size of the !SSL!\WebHelp folder?

• Old chm file size = 15,425,068
  • New chm file size = 106,975,117

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The old xxx.chm WITHOUT using the WebHelp to CHM Converter.jsx, was generated using Rh 'MS HTML Help' SSL, hence, file size = 15,425,068

However, when I used the converter script and created a new xxx.chm file size = 106,975,117

The "folder" is just an intermediate repository when generating WebHelp (uncompiled HTML) and has nothing to do with my inquiry. If I misunderstood your question, my apologies.

Thanks,

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually no surprise to me whatsoever that the CHM size increases. WebHelp output is quite extensive with all sorts of additional files and folders.

To me, the real question to ask here is does it really matter?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

My team has to deploy these CHMs files (i.e one CHM file is eight times larger when using the converter script) and it takes more time (Build, copy, deploy, and system resources).

Do you know of a modified converter script that would elimate "... additional files and folders"?

Thanks Rick

~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused - if you already have a SSL for MS HTML Help, why do you need the WebHelp to CHM converter? Typically, that script is for when you have the WebHelp output but no source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using this script to  “Turn the ugly duckling into a swan", hence, present a more modern looking CHM shell (skin) and customizable tabs (e.g. renaming the Index tab to read “FAQ”, etc.). More history here, on why I chose to use the WebHelp to CHM Converter script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the fact that the new CHM contains the skin and other functionality that adds to the size. Swans are bigger than ducklings!

I wouldn't agree with prhmusic that typical use is when you don't have the source file. The script was created for precisely the reason it is being used here, to give CHMs a modern appearance.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Swans are bigger than ducklings" LMAO!  Thanks Peter for chiming in! ~PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I have a related question. We have a set of merged projects for which we produce both WebHelp and HTML help outputs. There are cross-project links but we use conditional build tags so that at compile time the output of the links is either the WebHelp format...

<a href="../LanguageReference/Delete_Command.htm">Delete</a>

...or the HTML format...

(<a href="LanguageReference.chm::/Delete_Command.htm">Delete</a>).

It all works fine (at least so far).

Our biggest complaint is about the duck (the antiquated look of the .chm viewer) and only came across the ability to convert WebHelp to .chm the other day and are quite taken with the swan (regardless of her size).

But here's the rub, can merged WebHelp projects be converted to .chm and still maintain the ability to merge the toc and index at runtime? Also, will the cross-project links work (and which format will be used)?

If either of the answers to the above are no, have you got any magic up your sleeve to replace the help viewer in a different way so that our set of .chm files can look more modern?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry but CHMs produced using the script cannot be merged. Or to perhaps be more accurate, I haven't tried but to the best of my knowledge, nobody has succeeded.

There is no other way I know of to make a CHM look better. Why not go for a Responsive Layout?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp