Highlighted

Version Control with TFS integration: runtime files

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer from community guidelines: searching for duplicates of a posting on this site is arduous at best and impossible at worst. Please change the way you (as developers of this site) can sort through postings. You cannot see all search results upon page scroll back and forth. You lose the search results upon each successive page navigation.

My version control has been setup utilizing this guide: https://www.adobe.com/devnet/robohelp/articles/robohelp-tfs-integration.html 

I successfully implemented all installs, created a blank project, and all seems to be fine (even though documentation on tfs source sontrol is little to none).

My question: I am utilizing the project type WebHelp for my company's website. With using team foundation server source control, I want to know with each iteration to a Robohelp project how do I only publish the files that have changed and not the entire source code directory with each minor change to a project?

Topics

Classic, Version control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Version Control with TFS integration: runtime files

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer from community guidelines: searching for duplicates of a posting on this site is arduous at best and impossible at worst. Please change the way you (as developers of this site) can sort through postings. You cannot see all search results upon page scroll back and forth. You lose the search results upon each successive page navigation.

My version control has been setup utilizing this guide: https://www.adobe.com/devnet/robohelp/articles/robohelp-tfs-integration.html 

I successfully implemented all installs, created a blank project, and all seems to be fine (even though documentation on tfs source sontrol is little to none).

My question: I am utilizing the project type WebHelp for my company's website. With using team foundation server source control, I want to know with each iteration to a Robohelp project how do I only publish the files that have changed and not the entire source code directory with each minor change to a project?

Topics

Classic, Version control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Disclaimer - lol! Liked that a lot.
Are you actually using RH Server to host your output files?
What version of RH are you running? Classic or New UI (RH2019)?
I believe it's your choice as to what you update to the hosting server - RH will always generate a full set, but may only copy up the changed topics to the web if you've hooked that up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We as supporters of the forum are not the developers so can't do anything about it beyond giving feedback. Trust me that has been done, probably ad nauseum.

Try posting your thoughts here about the workings of the forum.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/community-feedback/bd-p/Community-Feedback?page=1&sort=latest_replies...

You might like to try this link to get a better search. https://tinyurl.com/tkysphm

In full it is as below if you don't like shortened links.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&advanced=true&location=...

www.grainge.org

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q: Are you actually using RH Server to host your output files?

A: I am using Team Foundation Server to store output file generation. Not sure what you mean by host. Did I answer your question?

Q: What version of RH are you running? Classic or New UI (RH2019)?

A: Adobe RoboHelp 2015 (12.0.4.460).

I welcome feedback and input. I am looking for a more concrete answer though. I am a novice RH user, not a power user. As I understand it I can sync with TFS any file edits I make, but my question revolves around when performing a release I only want to push a limited set of files rather than the entire output file directory; i.e., ONLY those files that have changed, not 2,000 files that sit in the output file directory. I have attached the layout of the source control directory and a couple of screenshots from Visual Studio TFS so you see what I see.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not sure what you mean by host."

Is the webserver where your website runs from using RoboHelp server? It's one of the tags you picked on your post, but it refers to a specific Adobe product, not general web server questions.

I welcome feedback and input. I am looking for a more concrete answer though. I am a novice RH user, not a power user. As I understand it I can sync with TFS any file edits I make, but my question revolves around when performing a release I only want to push a limited set of files rather than the entire output file directory; i.e., ONLY those files that have changed, not 2,000 files that sit in the output file directory. I have attached the layout of the source control directory and a couple of screenshots from Visual Studio TFS so you see what I see.

Your screenshots haven't made it in to the post, unfortunately.

When you publish to a webserver from Robohelp, you can choose in the Outputs (SSL) dialog box whether to publish all files or only changed files. The setting is "Republish All". 

Team Foundation Server is not a webserver; it is a source control tool. You can't publish to TFS. Typically only your source files, not your output files are checked in. However, I have seen places where the output files are also checked in to source control and the developers are responsible for putting the output on the server, or bundling into an application. If this is your scenario, you'll need to check in the entire output every time.

I hope that answers your question, but if not, please re-post the images as they might help understand your situation. Make sure you log in to the forums and use the Insert Photos icon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed your tags up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines