Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Versioning of themes possible?

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

does anyone know how I can create or manage different version states of a theme within a project?
Does version control even exist in RoboHelp 2020?

I work in the software field and create software documentation. I would like to make changes to the documentation within a release for example. But I want to keep the old status (e.g. version 1.0) and then, after the next release I want to work on version 1.1

Thanks a lot!!

TOPICS
Version control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RH works with version/source control for checking in/out files of projects. You can publish your output to a version control system to "freeze" the version 1.0 copy of the output, while continuing to work on the project files for version 1.1. If you still needed to be able to make changes to the version 1.0 project, you would have to make a copy to create the 1.1 version of the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Jeff_Coatsworth,

thanks for the answer. Highly appreciate.

Can you recommend a good version control system?

(is it like GitHub and/or Azure DevOps?)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - I'm in a lone-writer environment, so I don't have any need of source control for my docs. Just good backups 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff, 

I am also writing only by me - no other technical writers involved. It is also not about source control.

Versioning control is about the software releases. The software has version 1.0 and the documentation too. But the versions will change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, how you manage your output doesn't really impact RH - you can publish to web servers or Sharepoint or places like that, but it's up to you to point the output version to wherever you want it to go - it has no idea that you've just pumped out version 1.0 and want now to create a 1.1 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp