Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Videos embedded in Word not playing in RH10/ RH11

Mentor ,
Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have MS 2007 Word doc where I have embedded MP4 videos. When I import that doc to RH project, the video gets in as a black image.

How can I get it right? Please advice.

Sreekanth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 23, 2015 Feb 23, 2015

Hi there

I'd be very surprised if that were a seamless workflow. I think the development team likely never considered the possibility of a video in a Word document because video is relatively new to the game.

My guess is that you will have to save the video separately and and add it separately to RoboHelp. And making it work in RoboHelp will likely prove to be a bit of a challenge.

DEFINITELY recommend filing a bug report about it!

Click here to file one

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'd be very surprised if that were a seamless workflow. I think the development team likely never considered the possibility of a video in a Word document because video is relatively new to the game.

My guess is that you will have to save the video separately and and add it separately to RoboHelp. And making it work in RoboHelp will likely prove to be a bit of a challenge.

DEFINITELY recommend filing a bug report about it!

Click here to file one

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. I will do that. We have already compromised on images in Word paragraph style not getting imported to RH properly. Now, this is another. Wonder if RH team is serious about this Word-RH workflow at all.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, to be very honest here.

Your post about videos not properly coming across would cause the grand total of posts I've ever seen reporting this issue to increment to...

So for this particular issue, I'm going to have to say that you are likely in a very small minority with folks trying to do this. Most folks are using Word because they are printing.

I know it's a hard habit to break. The dependency on Word. I mean, it's always there. EVERYBODY and their brother "knows how to use it" but almost nobody knows how to properly use it. LOL

Don't get me wrong. RoboHelp should work with Word pretty well. But you have certainly heard the term "Garbage In Garbage Out"? If a Word document hasn't been properly formatted, there is little hope that RoboHelp will cleanly bring it across.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agree with "Garbage In Garbage Out". That is the reason I have spent hours in creating right styles in both Word and RH and mapping them according to my requirement. I am not saying RH doesn't work well with Word. What I meant is, according to me, images is in paragraph tag use case is not as unique as video in a Word doc. I had logged a bug report on that last year. But I guess the powers-that-be are not yet convinced.

We already have the process of FM to RH working for us. But we wanted Word to RH work similarly and as smoothly as that. From end user's perspective, irrespective of the input software (Word or FM) the output should look exactly the same.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp