• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

We are moving from RH9 for Word to RH9 HTML and there is an issue with spreadsheets

Explorer ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually have a couple of issues.  We have a number of projects with  lot of outside links so I found out that if I import instead of just converting everything looks fine.  Takes a little more time because the TOC and Index have to be set up and all the topics need to be imported but the Webhelp output looks fine.  This method works with all the projects but one.  The problem project has spreadsheets that have to be made in excel and updated in alpha order a couple of times a month..on top of that it has lots, and I mean a huge amount of external links (over 100,000).  First, I can't import it each topic in HTML....it locks up RH.  I tried converting the HTML doc back to word and that locked up too.  So first issue is how am I going to get the project from RH Word to RH HTML without causing RH to stop responding for hours.  I know it is because of all the links.  Some topics are 25 pages long and a few thousand links.  Next, even if I can get it all into HTML, when I try to add information to the topic I can't sort.  Any suggestions?

I may need to keep RH for Word for this project and move on to RH11 HTML for everything else, but not sure if I can keep RH for Word if we move to HTML.  Does anyone know if that is possible.  Can I have RH9  for Word and RH11 HTML on the same computer..thinking not.  Did not have any luck with customer service.  The guy just kept saying RH11 is compatible with Word 10 and 13, but I need to be able to use word, not html, in the project because of the features in word.  If compatible means I can work in word, not html, and I can sort I may be able to pull it off.

Any ideas?  The output in WebHelp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about linking to Word – author in Word and link the project to the Word files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that is that they also have to be able to search. We are an health insurance company and the reps have to be able to pull up a group and then the specific summary of benefits…we have thousands of individual product “groups” and small groups. I am hoping to be able to keep RH9 for Word for this project and move on to 11 html for the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you not be able to search the WebHelp produced by a project that linked to Word docs? You CAN maintain multiple versions of RH on the same machine if you’d like; you would just have to be careful about file associations (“which version of RH should I use when they click on THAT type of file,” Windows thinks).

Frankly, I’m amazed that you use Word to maintain all this content in – you’d think you would have been using FrameMaker for long document authoring by now or some other CMS system to hold it all & keep it straight. You don’t have translations to deal with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven’t had any problems with RH9 Word doing what I want it to do. I have to keep separate documents but it is easy for the folks on the phone to use. Do search for the group number and once the topic is identified do a search on the page. You can find the Summary of benefits in less than 30 seconds.

Again thanks. I am going to work at keeping different versions because, until someone comes up with a better plan over here, I’ll need to keep it in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear – the people on the phone are searching the WebHelp produced, right? Not the actual project files?

BTW - How are you dealing with browser security issues? Those things have been forcing Adobe (& this community – thanks Willam!) to make changes constantly to the JavaScript that powers WebHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes project is published in webhelp and that is what they search. I have no idea about security but everything they link to is on a secure server within the company. My project is a little different. I even figured out how to get RH9 for Word to link to straight up word or PDF documents. I can send you one of the topics. The links won’t work because they are internal, and I have to take out the column with the member info but you will be able to see what I am up against.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way, that is one small page…have about 50 pages and some are larger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and thank you. ☺

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I've read through the thread and still am not sure. So I'll just ask.

Are you familiar with the concept of "Baggage Files"?

You should be able to simply add these spreadsheet files as Baggage and easily search them using RoboHelp HTML 11.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve used baggage files before, not often, but not sure if it would work in this case. I have over 500 summary of benefits that get linked to thousands and thousands of groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp