Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web Hyperlinks in CHM not working

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We are using RoboHelp 2015 to create chm files on Windows 10 1607 and are currently upgrading to Windows 10 1709. 

Explorer 11 is the default browser.  The chm file is on the local C drive.  When using links in a chm file to web sites we use New Window in the Hyperlink Options Display in frame.  All works correctly in Windows 10 1607.

However when we take the chm file to Windows 10 1709 clicking on the same link does nothing.   If we change the option for the link to be Page Default (none) it will work in Windows 10 1709 showing the site in the chm panel.

I have tried the same link in a word document and it does work correctly opening explorer to display the page.

Does anyone know why opening a link to a web page from within a chm file does not open the page in a browser when using Windows 10 1709?

In addition if the link is to a pdf file that is set to Page Default (none), again it will open in the chm panel but then a message shows up “Invalid plugin detected.   Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will quit”.   However, going directly to the browser to open the same link does not
produce the plugin error.  Why would the plugin error only appear when opening from a chm?

Thanks

John

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Hi there

I'm using Windows 10 1709 and my links work just fine. But there are likely differences. I tested both ways. First, I launched the CHM from the RoboHelp dialog when it completed the compilation. I believe that launches the 32 bit version of the CHM viewer. I then closed the CHM, located it using Windows Explorer and double-clicked it. That should have launched the 64 bit version of the CHM viewer. But both worked fine to open in a new browser window.

This was tested from a hyperlink from

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm using Windows 10 1709 and my links work just fine. But there are likely differences. I tested both ways. First, I launched the CHM from the RoboHelp dialog when it completed the compilation. I believe that launches the 32 bit version of the CHM viewer. I then closed the CHM, located it using Windows Explorer and double-clicked it. That should have launched the 64 bit version of the CHM viewer. But both worked fine to open in a new browser window.

This was tested from a hyperlink from an image.

Where are you linking from? Text on a page? An image on a page? One of the CHM toolbar icons? JavaScript?

Also, what version of IE do you have installed? I know the CHM viewer depends on bits of IE to do it's thing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

The links I have are text using insert hyperlink and choosing web address to link to.

We have IE 11 which is what we have on 1609 also.

I have since discovered that on our Windows 10 1709 machine if I change default browser to Chrome the links work opening the page in Chrome.

I have contacted our IT department to find out if something about IE itself causing the problem.

Thanks

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp