I have RH 2017 and generate webhelp. In recent webhelp builds, the Search function wouldn’t work in IE11 when the help was accessed through the application from a Unix server. No search results. The Search function works fine with Chrome and Edge via the application from the same server. If I view the webhelp from the hard drive on my laptop (i.e., locally), it also works fine.
I tried changing settings, changing the skin, rebuilding, re-posting, testing etc. The search function had run without any problem in the Webhelp I generated back in August, but not now.
Then I saw this post ("Robohelp 2019 & Internet Explorer 11 issue"): https:://forums.adobe.com/message/9702368
So I unchecked the “Display intranet sites in Compatibility View” option in IE11 and the search function worked in IE11. But I wondered why search worked in the August webhelp regardless of the setting and stopped working in webhelp buids in October. Then I remembered that I updated the RH 2017 install on my laptop in August to Update 2 (220.127.116.114).
So I copied my RH 2017 project to a laptop with the original, un-upgraded RH 2017, and generated webhelp, and I bet you can guess what happened -- the Search function worked in IE11 regardless of the “Display intranet sites in Compatibility View” option.
So I will be building webhelp on this other laptop with un-upgraded RH 2017 from now on. It's very annoying (since it is a different person's laptop), but at least I don't have to ask users to uncheck the IE option. Does anyone know of a resolution for this other than restoring the un-upgraded RH 2017?
BTW, I did make the fix described in "Cannot collapse the ToC of Webhelp output in Google Chrome" to whthost.js, but that did not help.
I don't know if it's the same issue but I had inconsistent search results in different browsers. After some research, something on Peter's site helped me. You can find the discussion and solution here. Again, don't know if it's the same thing, but it might be worth a shot.
Jared: Thanks. I installed all the Adobe patches/fixes to RH17 listed on Peter's site, but nothing has resolved the problem yet. Here is a list of the ones I installed, with numbers from Peter's RH17 page:
- 14. Cannot collapse the table of content of a multilevel Webhelp. This is an edit to whthost.js.
- 13. This is the Adobe fix for Tracker Bug 960. Adobe ticket name: Search does not work in Responsive HTML5 output. However, the Adobe patch is not exactly the same as the 960 fix. For example, the loadparentdata.js file is an older version in the Adobe patch than provided with the 960 bug.
- WebHelp output does not open in Firefox - helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/webhelp-output-loading-issue-firefox.html