• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird { XE "" \* MERGEFORMAT } showing in Word generated document

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2006 Jul 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RoboHelp HTML 5.0. When I publish my help system as a Word document, I am getting dozens of weird looking imbedded fields / codes in my document.

{ XE "" \* MERGEFORMAT}{ XE "" \* MERGEFORMAT}

Also see attached .jpg example. There is nothing weird or odd about the information trying to be converted. The style information is very basic. These topics have been sent to Word before. We update our User Guide once a quarter and it worked 3 months ago. This generation is occurring on a new machine with a recent installation of RoboHelp (last machine had a hard drive crash).

Ideas???

http://www.thinmind.com/Images/Help/RoboHelpHTMLToWordProblem.jpg
TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 03, 2006 Jul 03, 2006
Thanks for the idea! Turning off the Word formats worked. The oddest thing, is with the Word format symbols showing....Adobe Distiller would not generate a .PDF file. Adobe Distiller would bomb out when it hit the first { XE...} thing. I did not realize these were word symbols. Thanks so much!!! Have a nice 4th!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there frustrated99!

What happens when you turn the symbols off in Word?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2006 Jul 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea! Turning off the Word formats worked. The oddest thing, is with the Word format symbols showing....Adobe Distiller would not generate a .PDF file. Adobe Distiller would bomb out when it hit the first { XE...} thing. I did not realize these were word symbols. Thanks so much!!! Have a nice 4th!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again. I just had another thought - have you checked the View options in Word to see if the Hidden Text option has been selected. The fields look like index marking to me. If you've marked keywords in your topics they will be added to the document as index entries.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2007 Jan 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe how you turn off the word formats and/or symbols described above? I'm having the same issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Word go to Tools | Options | View tab | deselect field codes

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Got it. Thanks for the quick reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also click the Paragraph icon on the toolbar. It looks like a reversed
"P."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2007 Mar 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problemt as described, but it does not disappear when deselecting field codes. I have investigated it further and it seems to be related to index. If a topic is referred to by an index the field code will appear in the generated Word document.

My problem is that sometimes the field code is listed with a topic heading and when this occur it does not look correctly when I create a PDF from the Word file - the heading number does not show. Sometimes the field code is listed within the topic and it comes out correctly in the PDF. I fail to see how/why the index reference differ and I seem to fail to remove the field codes as described. Help!!!

Kind regards
Rikke Nymand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2007 Mar 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikke

Can you check your Word Options to ensure that you're not printing Hidden Text or Field Objects? Select Tools > Options > Print tab and check the 'Include with document' section of the screen.

Regards

Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2007 Mar 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kathy

All options in the 'Include with document' section are unchecked, except 'Drawing objects' since I do have some in the document, so this is not the reason.
I have, however, managed to turn the 'hidden text' off on the view tab, so they do not show in Word. This did not solve the problem though - since the pdf still comes out wrong.

At this point I'm not even sure if the problem is RoboHelp, Word or my pdf distiller... (I use Acrobat Standard 8 by the way)

Any other ideas...???

Kind regards
Rikke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this issue in Word 2010 and it was caused by the setting menu File - Options, dialog Word options, item Advanced, section Print, option Print field codes instead of their values.

I have no idea how or when it was checked and even didn't know it existed. But it clearly does what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp