• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What causes spaces to appear randomly within words in the search results display area after help is attached to the application?

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp for Word 11. When a search is done, the topic title (bold) and subsequent text (a certain number of characters from topic content) display in search results. In the example below (from an application in production), spaces appear randomly within words in the search results display area. The spaces are not present in the actual  topics. I have not found this issue in other application’s online help search results that I maintain with RoboHelp.

Regards, Jackie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

I've pasted in your code to RoboHelp 11 and I get the same result. And once I remove the inline styling, the problem disappears. RoboHelp 2015 has the same behaviour.

The easiet approach is to remove the inline styling from the project. Search and replace <b><font style="font-weight: normal;"> with nothing, as well as </font></b>. Since these styles cancel one another out, your reader won't notice anything.

You can also log a bug for this with Adobe: Home . Though I don't think they'll be fixing i

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the other manuals also maintained with RoboHelp for Word or with RoboHelp HTML?

In the source Word document in your project, is there anything at that location such as a bookmark or other marker? Perhaps that interferes.

The search result text is not dynamically retrieved from the topic. Instead, it is stored in one of the search index files to make is quicker to get to that information. So the root will lie in the conversion from Word to WebHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, Willam. A correction to the original information I supplied. We are using RoboHelp HTML 11 (not RoboHelp Word) to develop and maintain all our application help. The spacing problem is occurring in a project where all composition was accomplished in RH with no source document. I apologize for the misleading information.

To answer your question, the word 'Use' starts a new paragraph. The text prior to that paragraph is hyperlinked. The text immediately following the paragraph is bookmarked. My original thought was that there were hidden characters or a style misapplied, but I find neither.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested in the search index files you mentioned as this points to the possibility of the issue being introduced during project generation. I use the Batch Generate/WebHelp options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The index files are found in the whxdata folder. You'll find a lot of package_x_xml.js files, which contain the search index. I shouldn't matter whether you use batch generate or normal generation, but you never know.

Can you post the HTML of that paragraph? I'd like to try that text in a topic to see what it does. Perhaps it is an issue with RoboHelp creating the summary because of some HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your request made me look more closely at the HTML. As you will see, there is a space '</b>' between the 'u' and 's' in the word 'use' as well as '</font>.' The space is not present in design view.

<p class="EPS_Para_Text"><b><font style="font-weight: normal;">U</font></b>se

the following hyperlinks to quickly navigate to a specific set of Work

Queue Screen links in the table below.</p>

I am leaving the office and will be unable to respond further until 28 Nov.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've pasted in your code to RoboHelp 11 and I get the same result. And once I remove the inline styling, the problem disappears. RoboHelp 2015 has the same behaviour.

The easiet approach is to remove the inline styling from the project. Search and replace <b><font style="font-weight: normal;"> with nothing, as well as </font></b>. Since these styles cancel one another out, your reader won't notice anything.

You can also log a bug for this with Adobe: Home . Though I don't think they'll be fixing it in RoboHelp 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp