• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does chrome-less mean?

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I started reading for "Customizable HTML5 Indigo Layout" to see if it is 508 compliant, I noticed this term, "chrome-less" (indicated in red below). I'm copying text from the Adobe RoboHelp Online Help:

"

Customizable HTML5 Indigo layout

Present a visually rich content to your audience by using the chrome-less HTML5 Indigo layout. The Indigo layout is built in accordance with the latest web design trends and combine a striking look with unmatched functionality. It is a 508 compliant layout designed to create content for users with special needs and also offer superior search and intuitive navigation experience."

-----------------

Does this mean, 508 compliance will be unavailable on Chrome browser? I wanted to confirm before I tell this to my stakeholders.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not Adobe, of course, and I have no clue how much of what you shared is just considered marketing hype. But generally speaking, when you visit a web site using a web browser, that browser has "chrome". (not to be confused with the Google Chrome browser).

Chrome consists of things like presenting a title bar, and an address bar, and a status bar and other elements. So typically, when you have a "chromeless" window, those elements are missing.

I believe what you copied also says that whatever is being done is actually meeting 508 compliancy standards.

Hopefully someone from Adobe will pop in to clarify.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Rick! I'll apply this out and see how the display works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jakob Nielsen gives a comprehensive explanation here, as well as pros and cons of chrome and how it applies to usability. I admit I'd never heard the term 'chrome' used in conjunction with websites before.

Browser and GUI Chrome

TL;DR

On a website, the chrome includes navigation bars, footers, logos, branding, the search box, and so forth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I have with the use of the term "chromeless" here is that originally it meant content that displayed without the browser menu and toolbar, as Rick has explained. You saw just the help content and its toolbar. I believe it was partly a design thing and partly so that users could not substitute another address and browse, done where companies would not allow users access to a browser.

I don't see how the term can be used in the context you have shown.

As  to 508 compliance, you would need to check your version and the skin being used with Adobe. Bear in mind that whilst a skin might be compliant, your content also has to be and Adobe have no control over that. The use of colours is affected, for example.

Where did you find the text you have quoted?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter! I found the text in RoboHelp's Online Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

As you said:

"As  to 508 compliance, you would need to check your version and the skin being used with Adobe. Bear in mind that whilst a skin might be compliant, your content also has to be and Adobe have no control over that. The use of colours is affected, for example."

Where can I get more information or learn on how I can make my content 508 compliant?

Thanks in advance!

Jaya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Google 508 Compliance. 44million results to wade through.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp