• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What I see in the CSS is not what displays in the HTML -- why?

Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with TCS 5, RH 11, and FM12, all patched up. I am finding that imported FM works better than linked (slightly fewer crashes and access to CSS seems better).

However, in several cases, the RH CSS is not showing what the HTML is displaying. Why?

For example, my GlossaryDefinition style (FM_GlossaryDefinition) is indented in FM (it is part of a run-in head construction) and I don't want this in the output HTML. But, the CSS as displayed in RH shows no indent while the HTML displays an indent. How can this be? what is going on?

31.png

Thanks,

Sean

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

@seanb_us - I've filed a bug report now on this behaviour; you should probably do one too. Your experimental project will probably be ideal for them to use if they need one to see what's going on.

PS - the SSL recipe is the choices you make in the Single Source Layouts pod (those are your help outputs). The term "recipe" is cribbed from the great @Captiv8r (Rick Stone) ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image on the right isn't your output - it looks like it's the RH topic - what you see in the topic isn't what you necessarily get when you generate your output. I would generate and have a look at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. So, from within RH, am looking at the Project Manager, where do I find my output? I was looking under Project Files.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at Importing Word on my site. I think most of the logic is the

same. I suspect you are not linked to your normal CSS or some inline

styling is overriding the CSS.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you provide a link when you have a chance? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter's site is grainge.org - look at your \!SSL!\WebHelp (or whatever flavour of help you are making) to see the resulting HTML pages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I must not use RoboHelp to view the output, I must go to the folder using Windows Exploder and open the HTMLs using a Web browser there?

Thanks,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. I didn't figure that out, so thanks for the info. I expected to see my output from within RH. And, since there seem to be HTML files there ... but they are not.

So, I looked at the output. The resulting HTML files are actually looking at my Sean01.css file, which is great. However, they still reference a local css file included in every folder. This is not what I need. Can we turn off that second, local CSS?

Cheers,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn’t be – are you browsing down to the level of the individual topic in the \!SSL!\help_flavour\ root folders? There’s no css referred to my WebHelp output other than the “apply2all.css” I created that lives in the root of the \!SSL!\WebHelp\ folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I very much appreciate you hanging in here with me. Thanks for all your patience.

Here's a video that shows what I am seeing.
Dropbox - 41.mp4

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try doing it again with generating WebHelp, not Responsive HTML5 – maybe there’s a difference there – I don’t get the extra individual CSS files showing up in my output when I specify the CSS to apply to all. BTW – I didn’t really see you do your SSL recipe in the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, using my same setup, imported FM files, I generated WebHelp. I have the local CSS files and the one global file, the same as before. I wonder what I am doing differently?

Also, what is this SSL recipe?

36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, just tested with a copy of an upgraded RH10 FM to RH project – I’m getting the extra css in with the output HTML too & I’m seeing 2 lines of reference to the “unwanted” css and to my desired “apply3all.css” – I think there’s a bug in here. My bullets are all messed up, but if I delete the line referencing the CSS I file in the folder, it behaves correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@seanb_us - I've filed a bug report now on this behaviour; you should probably do one too. Your experimental project will probably be ideal for them to use if they need one to see what's going on.

PS - the SSL recipe is the choices you make in the Single Source Layouts pod (those are your help outputs). The term "recipe" is cribbed from the great @Captiv8r (Rick Stone) ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remind me how to file a bug report, please. Part of the reason I don't is I don't know what is supposed to be correct functionality and what is not. From a workflow perspective, documentation on using this combination of products is weak. Thank goodness for you and the forums. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean,

The links for filing a bug report are on the bottom of the FM Forum Overview page: FrameMaker

The direct link is: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis - I'm not sure that RH has moved over to the new Bugbase system - I was still using Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

This issue is more of a RH11 issue than a FM12 one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis and Jeff, thanks. I'll log a bug. There's a larger workflow issue here, perhaps, that might be the pink elephant in the room.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops, didn't notice that this thread was coming through the RH forums in my emails.

Probably worth reporting in both streams though, since FM uses the WebHelp and Responsive HTML5 in the Publish module, so I would expect the same effect there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Arnis; you missed nothing. I have a thread going on in RH about FM integration, but I also tried FM's native help output, and ran into something similar, so asked about that directly, to see if someone on the FM side had a solution. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp