• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I am trying to open some of my books in Google Chrome some topics are not opening, how to I resolve this?

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am trying to open some of my books in Google Chrome some topics are not opening, how to I resolve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2018 Aug 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't check right now but I think there was a similar post recently.

It would help to know your version of RoboHelp and the output.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What output are you using? Is it Webhelp? If so, it's a known issue in Chrome that was introduced by an update to the browser earlier this year. You can resolve it via the following steps:

1. Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2017\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_stock

2. Make a backup copy of whthost.js

3. Edit original file with Notepad++

4. Replace (line 872):

sText = sText.replace("\n", "");

with:

sText = sText.replace(/\n/g, "");

5. Save the changes. No restart necessary; the fix will be included the next time Webhelp is generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, using RH 2017.  I tried changing whthost.js with the above, and no luck.  Our help is called from the web server, and when we click the Show link from the topic in Chrome, it is then that the TOC books do not open. And the Contents pane does show the dreaded "javascript:void" error.

Here's a clue that we found out  -  the TOC behaves correctly in Chrome version 56 but NOT in Chrome version 71. Very interesting - but not necessarily an answer, since we can't ask our system's users to use an older version of Chrome just to get the TOC to work!

I am now experimenting with changing various options on the WebHelp generation window - such as turning off Synchronizing Table of Contents.  So far nothing has corrected the issue. An RH Tech Support spent some time with my issue here, and as much as we tried (also changing whthost.js) we couldn't get it to work in Chrome.

Thanks!

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan,

just to go sure: Are we talking about the very old WebHelp output option here, or about the modern HTML5 output?

*Stefan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Stefan.

Should be the modern HTML5 output.  With RoboHelp 2017 plus latest second patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, no, that’s the old “WebHelp” output. This one is really very old and a lot of modern browsers struggle with it.

Can you try the newer “Responsive HTML5? output once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU, STEFAN!!  It works when I generate in Responsive HTML5 SSL!!  After we regenerated, we copied our new output to the folder where the system accesses the help files.  And when we opened our system in Chrome, opened a help topic, then clicked the link to see the full help viewer - our TOC / Contents pane was usable, with the current topic already expanded.  All the "books" were then expandable!

Our next test will to confirm this works when the help is retrieved and installed with the system in regular way.  But we think it will work.

Plus we learned about "new" functionality of RH that we never tried.

Thank you again!

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp