• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I generate my CHM file, some topics appear in blank!

Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

I've been facing problems when I try to output my CHM file (RoboHelp 11).

The problem is that some topics appear in the list, but their content is in blank!

Some topics are OK, but others are in blank.

When I generate them clicking "Microsoft HTML Help" sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't know why it happens... If you can help me...

It's save on a local folder. The weirdest thing is that some topics are OK, but others not.

Sometimes the same topic can be viewed, but if I generate it again, the same content disappears...

I will put some pictures to explain it better to you.

Image 003.png

Image 004.png

The next image is the same topic shown in the previous image... I can't figure out why it happens...

Image 006.png

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is there any consistency to this? For example, does it always happen to the same topics and always after you compile?

Or is it hit and miss in the same file and the same session? For example, you open the topic and its fine, click to view a different topic and later try to view this topic again but it's blank?

Sure sounds like a head scratcher! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick.

It's the first case. It often happens to the same topics and always after I compile.

However, sometimes when I compile it again, their content can be viewed.

It's so strange because I didn't modify anything in the output screen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get the blank screen, see if you are able to right-click and view the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can see the source, it's exactly the same that appears when it works.

Besides, when I'm in RoboHelp 11 and I right-click the topic and I select the option "View" I can always read it, but when I export it is empty.

I think the problem is in output itself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested the CHM file on other machines? If so, does the same issue manifest there?

The thing is, CHM viewer uses bits of Internet Explorer as the display mechanism. I'm wondering if perhaps there is something about your version of Internet Explorer causing the issue.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my workmate has the same problem... I was wondering if it wasn't anything in RoboHelp 11, because we have the same RoboHelp version installed.

Also because of the CHM file not being updated anymore. I'm trying to convince people here to change all helps to HTML5, but I am still trying to proove its advantages first. I think their biggest concern is because CHM is compiled, but HTML generates a lot of HTML pages...

My IE version is 11.0.9600. Well, I keep always checked an option for automatically updated it.

I don't know how to fix it because sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intermittent problems are the bane of any troubleshooting, eh?

I'd suggest downloading and installing the eval version of RoboHelp 2015. But my gut says it likely won't really make any difference.

Question here. Is your Windows operating system 32 bit or 64 bit?

If it's 64 bit, are you opening the CHM by clicking the button you see on the final dialog RoboHelp offers when the CHM finishes compiling? Or are you double-clicking the CHM files to open them in Windows?

I'd be happy to see if I can stumble onto anything on my own end if you want to make the CHM file available to me.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

My Windows is 64bit and I double-click the CHM file to open them in Windows.

I don't know how I can send it to you, because I can't send it here. I can use WeTransfer to make it available to you, If you send me your e-mail.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing

RickStone1975 (at) gmail (dot) com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am also facing the same problem.

Please help.

Regards,

Richa Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick has already responded to you in this thread. The TOC topic when cliclked on left pane, doesn't display the content on the right pane.

I'm sure he will pick up with you on that later in the day.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Yes i have followed that process, but still i am facing the same issue.

Regards,

Richa Arora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp