Highlighted

Why does changing the language in Project Settings takes so long? What is it changing?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2017 13.0.2.334

Windows 10

Background:

When we localize a Help project, we send our Localization Department our entire Help project. They localize what they need to and send it back. At that point, we make a copy of the English project we had sent them and then copy all the localized content on top of it. Then we change the project's language and the ssl's language to the target language and regenerate. We've been doing this for years now and it typically works without a problem.

The Problem:

We have received some localized files for one of our larger projects (approx 2500+ topics but not many images). When I change the language in project settings the project is unresponsive for a very long time. Clicking on the project at this point crashes it. If I leave it alone, it sometimes finishes whatever process it is doing. But what is it doing? Is it modifying something in each .htm file under the hood that's causing it to seem unresponsive? If so, what exactly?

Views

248

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Why does changing the language in Project Settings takes so long? What is it changing?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2017 13.0.2.334

Windows 10

Background:

When we localize a Help project, we send our Localization Department our entire Help project. They localize what they need to and send it back. At that point, we make a copy of the English project we had sent them and then copy all the localized content on top of it. Then we change the project's language and the ssl's language to the target language and regenerate. We've been doing this for years now and it typically works without a problem.

The Problem:

We have received some localized files for one of our larger projects (approx 2500+ topics but not many images). When I change the language in project settings the project is unresponsive for a very long time. Clicking on the project at this point crashes it. If I leave it alone, it sometimes finishes whatever process it is doing. But what is it doing? Is it modifying something in each .htm file under the hood that's causing it to seem unresponsive? If so, what exactly?

Views

249

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 10, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not something I can help with but some time ago Jutta Geisler-Sanders wrote an article that is on my site at Translating RoboHelp Projects.

Maybe something in the details there will help. Otherwise and in the absence of anyone else coming in, I think it will be a trip to Adobe Support.


See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp & Authoring info. Use the blue Reply button at the top to help me help you.
The black Reply link nests replies and they sort out of order.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jul 10, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let’s try to narrow it down:

First, make a full copy of the source language project and then try to change the language there.

→ If it works smoothly like in the past, we will need to look into the translated files.

→ If it also takes an unexpectedly long time or crashes, we will need to look into the source language project.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jul 10, 2019 0
Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter and Stefan.

Stefan, I think it's a function of the size of the project. That's what made me ask if it's making a change to every .htm or something. I don't see any update to the .htm files' time stamps so maybe it's not changing each .htm. But if not, why the long application of the setting. Changing it on small projects takes almost no time at all, but on this one, it takes about 10 minutes. I tried to change the English source's language settings to something else and it also took about 10 minutes.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Reply
Loading...
Jul 10, 2019 0