• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why has search stopped working in Webhelp 2017 using IE 11 browser from 3/8/18?

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RoboHelp 2017 the search has always worked in all browsers. Since late last week search no longer works in IE version 11. I guess it's a security issue (I've read much earlier posts), but who knows what to look for? What are the security issues in IE that would stop a RH webhelp search?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Further to the above where search has stopped working in IE 11 and browser stops working: I have followed the suggestion to update the javascript files re Tracker Bug 960. But this has not fixed problem. However, in an older help project the search still works. Can anyone suggest what could have happened in newer project to stop search working. RoboHelp has been stable and did not crash. I've only updated topics with new content. Can invalid HTML code cause search to stop? Which source files should I check to determine cause of problem? Any suggestions greatly appreciated with new help release due in 3 1/2 weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That bug is about responsive HTML 5 help whereas you are referring to WebHelp. I suspect the older project might fail if you generated it afresh. Try that but generate to a different folder. Do not overwrite what is working.

Do you have all updates applied? If you do, that provided a later fix to the one you applied, albeit for a different output. I doubt that would cause issues here but it's not possible to say. The cleanest fix would be to uninstall and reinstall RoboHelp but I doubt you will want to do that at this point.

Try a generating to clean folder first. Does this happen when you open the help or only when it is linked to some software?

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I've discovered a means of getting the search to work again in the second project. In the Output (for publishing) I turned off the option: Show Context in Search Results. However, this option is still turned on in first project and search with context displayed still publishes. I'm not sure what content change in project 2 has caused impact to search with context.

Helen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently two people have reported on the forum that Show Context option slows things down. Maybe your search was working but so slowly you thought it wasn't. turn if off in all projects and see what happens.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In 2nd project, IE browser froze then page not responding message displays, but in Chrome search with Show Context still worked ok. The first project with Show Context option still works OK in IE. I have republished with first project (Show Context option on) and search again still works OK in IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp