Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the Windows Installer called upon launch of CHM

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am using RoboHelp 10 to create CHM files. The results so far seem great, with one exception.  When we launch our CHM file, on some machines it causes a Windows Installer window to pop-up.  It’s looking for our Revit.MSI file.  The problem is shown in this video:  http://screencast.com/t/JaajIML0gkBS

I can resolve the problem in two ways:

1.  Dismissing the dialog works, so it's not preventing the CHM from working, it's just annoying.

2.  I can also plug in my USB drive that contains that MSI, but it's only a temporary fix.  Meaning it doesn't actually try to install anything, it just wants to know that the MSI exists.

This problem manifests on some machines, but not all.  Our older CHM files, created with a different tool, do not have this problem, so I'm assuming that it's unique to either RoboHelp or something within my project. I’ve spent a bunch of times on forums and am coming up empty.  Our programming staff is also stumped. 

I did try this solution but it did not help: http://blogs.adobe.com/techcomm/2012/10/resolving-chm-file-error-in-robohelp.html

I've done a RoboHelp update to also see if that might fix the issue and I reviewed the log files made when the CHM is created and did not see anything that seemed to call this other program.

I’m hoping that it’s a question of upgrading some aspect of Robohelp to prevent this.  Any tips?

Thanks much for any tips on troubleshooting.

Regards,

Glynnis

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Hello again

Well, it gets sorta sketchy here in recent years. Why? Because of the advent of 64 bit operating systems.

See, if you just double-click a CHM file and you are on a 64 bit system, you are likely running the 64 bit version of the HTML Help viewer. But if you click the view button immediately after compiling, RoboHelp likely launches the 32 bit version of the HTML Help viewer. (Two different applications and two possible different experiences)

The only thing I can fathom that RoboHelp *MI

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think RoboHelp is really just a red herring here. If memory serves, it's the result of an application you have loaded that didn't really properly complete the installation to Windows' satisfaction.

The problem of opening any application and seeing a prompt to install is reasonably common. I've seen it reported more than a few times here.

See if this link helps get you started.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the ideas Rick.  That seems plausible, but I don't think that explains why, when I select another CHM on the same computer that I don't get the same problem does it?  It feels like the Robohelp compiler is missing some piece, or that a piece that it is calling has a bad file association.  I'm investigating the possibility that somehow the Autodesk wiki hyperlinks, which are embedded in the CHM could be somehow calling the Revit MSI. 

Regards,

Glynnis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Well, it gets sorta sketchy here in recent years. Why? Because of the advent of 64 bit operating systems.

See, if you just double-click a CHM file and you are on a 64 bit system, you are likely running the 64 bit version of the HTML Help viewer. But if you click the view button immediately after compiling, RoboHelp likely launches the 32 bit version of the HTML Help viewer. (Two different applications and two possible different experiences)

The only thing I can fathom that RoboHelp *MIGHT* be influencing here is *IF*, your CHM is using either the Glossary tab or Browse Sequences. If so, a file named HHActiveX.dll is being used. That file is RoboHelp specific to provide those functions. Other than that, it's just a CHM.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome!  That did the trick!  I went to the Project Setup pod>Windows and then right-clicked on my Window to access the Properties.  From their I removed the Browse Sequence and the Glossary. 

Thanks so much Rick.

Glynnis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp