• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Settings (RoboHelp 2020)

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Author page, RoboHelp has a section that is called "Window Settings". I can find no information about this anywhere, and sadly the words "window" and "settings" are so generic that any search for the term turns up millions of results that have very little to do with that issue. The actual RoboHelp documentation appears to make no mention of the section - or if it does I can't find it and I find that in general the RoboHelp docs are incredibly light on any meanigful information anyway. I also tried contacting support to get information and you can see the rather fun results of that conversation in the image below:

Mark_Noc_0-1611938605962.png

SO...

Can anyone explain what the Window Settings stuff is actually for? How is it used and applied to outputs, and what outputs is it applied to? Or point me towards somewhere where this is actually documented? 

Oh, and honestly, this forum is a life saver as Adobe support is a joke... 😞

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Some of the functionality used to also work for web based help, but with the move to tabbed browsing the features provided are essentially irrelevant these days. It might still be possible to specify the window when using a context sensitive help call, but it's not something I've done in a long time.

For CHM, there's a field "Default Window" under Layout in the output preset (I assume it's still there for RH2020, I only have RH2019 right now) which is where you select it. The setting has vanis

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working with RH2020 yet, so I can't help too much (but I suggest you have a look at both the About Robohelp sample project included in RH2020, because it explains a lot of things & Peter's site - grainge.org for some excellent explanations of RH versions & features), but I wouldn't get on the "normal" chat with Adobe Support - you want to be talking to the RH engineers through e-mail - tcssup@adobe.com or see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your support contact options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Jeff! I've checked out Peters excellent site and all he has to say on the subject is "Check the adobe documentation". 😞 And sadly, the adobe docs are just sooooooo lightweight and don't mention it anywhere that I can find. I wasn't aware of enterprise support, so I'll give them a go... Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Window Settings option is on the Outputs tab, not the Author tab. In this topic Microsoft HTML Output - CHMs (grainge.org) what I say is

To create or edit the window for Microsoft HTML Help (CHMs), click Outputs and select Window Settings.

Existing windows will be listed and you can create new ones by clicking the + icon.

Double click a window shown in the Project Component Panel to edit it or hover over it and click the menu icon that will be displayed.

You will then see the various settings that can be applied. Please refer to the Adobe RoboHelp online help for details.

Unless you are generating CHMs, this option is irrelevant. In Files > Settings > Panels you can deselect that option so that it doesn't appear.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Reply Peter! My mistake when writing author instead of outputs... I saw what's written on your site which is why I've been searching the adobe documentation about it. It seemed like it only affects CHM builds, but I wanted to be sure. I'm also unclear on how the settings are actually applied to a build - since you can create multiple window settings and multiple different chm outputs, I'm unclear on how you define which output gets which settings - and wanted to know specific details about some of the options available... If you know where this information can be found in the adobe docs I'd really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without looking at RoboHelp, you select the window in a CHM preset.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the functionality used to also work for web based help, but with the move to tabbed browsing the features provided are essentially irrelevant these days. It might still be possible to specify the window when using a context sensitive help call, but it's not something I've done in a long time.

For CHM, there's a field "Default Window" under Layout in the output preset (I assume it's still there for RH2020, I only have RH2019 right now) which is where you select it. The setting has vanished for all other outputs as far as I'm aware.

Your best bet for descriptions would be to check the old user manuals. Probably RH11 or earlier:

https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/archive.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark,

I have sent you a private message.

We will be looking forward to your response so that we can setup a quick call and discuss it further.

Regards,

Ajit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp