• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word Document to HTML Help? Automated process available?

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I adopted Robohelp (at times of RH X 5 office or even earlier?), I had a look at DocToHelp and at that time we decided for RH.

Anyway, is there a mechanism to convert a given Word document, that has a table of contents (in free form) and subsequent numbered pages, into a RH project structure and derive topic pages from it easily?

--

Christoph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process of importing and linking is described on my site. Click here.

Not sure what you mean by a table of contents in free form.

Try importing the first time into a new project so that if you don't get it right, you haven't messed up your main project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will look at it. By "free form" I just meant (I'm not a Word Guru), that the "Inhaltsverzeichnis (Table of Contents) is made of a sheer hand edited textual representation in form of

chapter 1

topic1............page #

topic2............page #

chapter 2

etc...

I don't know whether there is a special type of TOC in Word. Maybe there is, don't know, that's why I called it "free form".

The conversion process should somehow be able to recognize that this is the table of contents so that it can construct a reference between the topic name in the TOC and the actual page it is refering to.

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The conversion process should somehow be able to recognize that this is the table of contents

How? To Word that page is just some text.

The import process can handle a Table of Contents that has been created in Word as such but if it is just something you have typed, then it cannot convert it. As you will see in the article, the first step of the process is the Word document will be saved in HTML format and that is done by Word, not RoboHelp. Word is not seeing what it recognises as a Table of Contents so it cannot convert it as such.

Your options are to import the document as it is and just trash the topic it creates with your TOC, then create a TOC in RoboHelp or create a proper TOC in Word first. Personally I would create the TOC in RoboHelp.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp