Highlighted

Difference between slim & full installer ?

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between the slim & the full installer for shockwave player ?

There is a statement on the website that says "For information on the differences between the Full and Slim installers, view this TechNote"

but there is no TechNote nor a link to one.

Does anyone know where it is ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Difference between slim & full installer ?

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between the slim & the full installer for shockwave player ?

There is a statement on the website that says "For information on the differences between the Full and Slim installers, view this TechNote"

but there is no TechNote nor a link to one.

Does anyone know where it is ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 07, 2011 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where the Tech Note is.  To the best of my knowledge, the full installer installs backwards compatibility, the slim installer does not.  I'm sure there is some backwards compatibility in the slim installer, but I don't know how far back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2011 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was curious about this too, and this is what I've discovered in looking in to the difference between the two versions.

A SLIM version of Shockwave, which is the version Adobe installs by defualt, contains a limited number of units of functionality called “Xtras”. If a Shockwave application requires any Xtras not included in the SLIM version the plug-in will simply download them from the Adobe servers.

The FULL version on the other hand, contains a full complement of these "Xtras" which means the plug-in should never need to access the web for missing units.

This is also the reason the SLIM version installation program in all releases of Shockwave is smaller in size by about a third or more.

So the gist of all this is everyone can simply install the SLIM version; unless someone has a problem of being always able to dynamically access the Adobe servers on as-need basis. If that's a problem then you *MUST* download and install the FULL version instead.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2011 1
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That is really helpful.

Our PCs access the internet through a proxy server and we always have problems installing Adobe products dynamically.  We have to download them separately to install (ie Reader, Flash, Shockwave players).

It's therefore really usefull to know that the slim version might try and download something else, which would no doubt fail on our systems, so to be on the safe side we should be installing the full version.

Thank you once again for your research into this topic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 24, 2011 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my understanding:

Slim EXE and Full EXE are as described above, but both install only the Shockwave 11 components.  Full EXE will still attempt to download the Shockwave 10 components from the Adobe site dynamically if it runs into Shockwave 10 content (which I believe is ANSI as opposed to Unicode in Shockwave 11).  The Full MSI includes all the Xtras in the Full EXE but also includes the Shockwave 10 components (which are updated during every security release in order to patch the vulnerabilities in the Shockwave 10 components).  Thus the Full MSI is the only complete (no download needed if you run into something later) version of Shockwave.  Unfortunately, you always have to check the version number on it since Adobe likes to lag behind when releasing the MSI.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2011 0