Exit

Adobe asking for "PROPERTY RELEASE" on a 3D video of an inbox

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I submitted a video to adobe stock that shows an inbox. Here is a screengrab:

michaelmannuccicom_0-1670512227203.png

I'm not sure what property release they looking for? The question is "Is there recognizable people or property?". Is it speaking about the names on the right (which are made up names)?

What would be my best option? Replace the names with lorem ipsum? I can't get a release from non-existant people haha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Follow up:

I created a version without any names on the right, but instead used "lorem ipsum", and the video was accepted. So, in the end, the issue wasn't to due with it looking like Gmail, or needing proof I made it, but a suspicion that the names on the right were actual names of people.

Updating this as as correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All illustratations (everything not an actual photograph) needs a property release from the Illustrator. Yes, even if it is your own work, because how else could Adobe know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also... this is surely Apple's mail app. Surely that cannot be sold to make money, used in adverts etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! PS, this is not Apple's mail app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second thought, though, I have 3 other illustrations that were accepted (not video) that I did not need any release on... so I'm not sure what they need?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video probably depicts the actual screen design of an email provider, and that screen design can be protected by IP. In other words, it wasn't designed from your imagination, which presumably the illustrations were.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other hand, if you DID design that screen - created the icons from your imagination, laid out a fake email app, and populated it with fake names, then you need to say so - otherwise Adobe will assume (as I did) that it's basically a screen shot of someone else's copyright design. These are dangerous waters... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Gmail! 🙂

Abambo_0-1670522191757.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's modeled after Gmail's inbox (different colors, different icons, different logo, diferent font).
Though I don't see why this should be an issue since the Adobe Stock library has plenty of assets that looks like Gmail. Example:

michaelmannuccicom_0-1670530588313.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are, if I make say so, making the same two mistakes that many, many people make in this area.

1. Trying to use other images in the library to prove yours should be accepted. Adobe change the rules over the years - some of these have been inherited from other libraries too. They change the rules mostly because of getting sued.

2. You try to complain that you need a property release by showing other pictures. But - perhaps the people making those images followed the rules and provided a property release. This is a normal part of providing commercial art and design. You cannot know, because there is no way as a stock consumber to check the release or know if it exists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure why, but you seem to have a passive aggressive and rude disposition in your interactions on this forum. It seems unnecessary.

In any case, I’m not “trying to complain”, I’m trying to understand what the issue is by asking clarifying questions so I can remedy the issue without doing unnecessary work. If the issue is unrelated to it looking like Gmail, it would be helpful to me to know that so I don’t have to do a bunch more design work to change it. If that is the issue, I know what to do.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it was helpful. I will make adjustments to my design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow up:

I created a version without any names on the right, but instead used "lorem ipsum", and the video was accepted. So, in the end, the issue wasn't to due with it looking like Gmail, or needing proof I made it, but a suspicion that the names on the right were actual names of people.

Updating this as as correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines