• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alpha Channel Video Dimensions

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I understand in the adobe stock process the uploaded 4k files will be automatically converted to a corresponding file in 1920x1080 format.

However, files with RGB+Alpha in 4k are converted, but they are laid out on the platform with a different codec, which does not support the Alpha channel. How to make the 1920x1080 file also support transparency?

4k Alpha Channel file: .mov / Codec: QTRLE
Automatically converted 1920x1080 file: .mov / Codec: H264

p.s. Is the qtrle codec ideal for sending alpha channel videos to adobe stock?

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

It's not hard to find videos that SAY they have an alpha channel. But

1. Just because a type of asset exists in Stock doesn't mean that normal contributors can submit them. There are many things that can't be submitted normally - like Photoshop templates, Audio, or Editorial photography (with no brand focus).

2. It's easy to find assets that claim things that aren't true. Like JPEGs claiming editable text, for example. This example claims to have an alpha channel but also claims to be H.264. Cle

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anything say videos with alpha are accepted? Or are there examples (can you give the number if one)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not hard to find videos with alpha in adobe stock search. In fact, that's what inspired me to start producing them.

Example: https://stock.adobe.com/uk/stock-photo/id/509508469?asset_id=509508469

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm more surprised that your qtrle codec gets accepted. Up to now, my guess would have been, that videos with alpha chanel would not be supported.

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/video-requirements.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not hard to find videos with alpha in adobe stock search. In fact, that's what inspired me to start producing them.

Example: https://stock.adobe.com/uk/stock-photo/id/509508469?asset_id=509508469

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not hard to find videos that SAY they have an alpha channel. But

1. Just because a type of asset exists in Stock doesn't mean that normal contributors can submit them. There are many things that can't be submitted normally - like Photoshop templates, Audio, or Editorial photography (with no brand focus).

2. It's easy to find assets that claim things that aren't true. Like JPEGs claiming editable text, for example. This example claims to have an alpha channel but also claims to be H.264. Clearly one of these claims is fals, since H.264 does not support an alpha channel. It also seems inconcevable it could clock in at only 4 MB if it had an alpha channel.  I found another example: Loop gold glittering text change from 2022 to 2023 for new year change text shine flickering light e... specifically claims to use ProRes 444 in the description, but the summary says it is H.264. I am disinclined to try them out to see which is right. I do observe a number of videos precomposed with a uniform green. This is actually very useful, I have purchased such videos. As well as being usable in apps like Premiere Pro they can be used directly in OBS for broadcast overlays, just by adding a filter to the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the 4k option in both examples you will see that the codec and file size change in a way that makes it more believable that it is indeed an rgb+alpha file. I downloaded the free sample and the transparent background worked as stated in the description, the 1080p version obviously did not.

In both examples, the 1080p version was automatically saved by adobe stock, the only rgb+alpha version is the 4k version (original file), which was initially the reason for my concern, since it is unfair for the buyer to take the version in 1080p. 

Anyway, I'm at the beginning of my production in adobe stock and I was bothered by this error. I prefer to look for alternatives, like the one you pointed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem is, that if you submit videos, where you claim transparency, it may well be, that the HD resolution fails. If that is, what the user licensed, they won't be happy. 

May be @MatHayward should chime in and tell us, if Adobe plans to support alpha channel formats and under which conditions.

For the moment, according to the Helpx pages, alpha channel is not supported.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines