Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad, bad photograph! – How to improve?

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Firstly, I have no illusions about this photograph, It’s abysmal and I wouldn’t dream of submitting it.

However, I was hoping someone might offer some guidance on what I could have done differently to achieve a  better result.

I’m a beginner trying to teach myself photography with quite mixed results so I would be very grateful for any tips that might help me improve.

It was taken on a Panasonic GH4 using the 12-60 kit lens. I had it set to aperture priority and zoomed in all the way. The aperture was 5.6 ( the widest available to me). The shutter speed was 1/100, and  ISO 200.

It was taken hand-held,  early this morning  under a fairly bright but overcast sky.

I’ve not done any post processing so as not to confuse the issue.

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Hi, the first thing that needs to be done is to increase the exposure to 1/1000 to remove the wing and head movement. The aperture is also a problem because the subjects are too far apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Ralph is correct in that you need a much faster shutter speed to capture moving objects. 1/100 is only good for completely stationary objects, and depending on how steady your hand is, might require use of a tripod. Also, if you were already at ISO 200, increasing the shutter speed 10x probably would have resulted in an objectionable amount of noise. Photographing birds is perhaps a bit too challenging for a beginner. Start with things that don't move ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Study the exposure triangle (shutter speed, f stop and ISO) and understand thoroughly how each setting interacts with the other on your camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, I had the camera set to auto focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the first thing that needs to be done is to increase the exposure to 1/1000 to remove the wing and head movement. The aperture is also a problem because the subjects are too far apart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks so much for that, really good to know. I’ll give it another bash tomorrow.

All the best - Susie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ralph is correct in that you need a much faster shutter speed to capture moving objects. 1/100 is only good for completely stationary objects, and depending on how steady your hand is, might require use of a tripod. Also, if you were already at ISO 200, increasing the shutter speed 10x probably would have resulted in an objectionable amount of noise. Photographing birds is perhaps a bit too challenging for a beginner. Start with things that don't move ! 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that’s very useful advice. I shall have my tripod all set up and ready tomorrow morning.

Wow, there are so many settings to get your head around. I think you’re right about birds being a bit of a challenge. I might have a go at slugs!

All the best - Susie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Study the exposure triangle (shutter speed, f stop and ISO) and understand thoroughly how each setting interacts with the other on your camera. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines