• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blocking images of public statues only NOW that the local sports team used them in their logo

New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully posted many photos of the Guardians of Traffic on the Hope Memorial Bridge.

Now that the Cleveland Indians changed their names to the Guardians, and based their logo on these statues, I'm getting Intellectual Property Refusal notices, even though the team DOES NOT OWN the statues and only based their OWN logo and graphic off of the statues.

Also, there are 8 different statues, all with different features, helmets, and vehicles, but I'm getting "similar images" when I submit, when all of them are different.

What can I do?

TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. What exact keywords did you use for your submission (wondering if you now referenced the team).

2. Adobe will be cautious, rather than seek legal opinion. Would you expect them to accept a picture whose title includes "New York's own Yankees" or  "Tampa Bay's fine Buccaneers" 

3. You say you've submitted "many" images, suggests a source of similar images; they aren't just looking at current submissions, nor just at your own submissions. The recent rigmarole may have led to a saturation of these sources.

4. Pics 3 and 4 seem to be taken of the same subject, a few minutes apart, from almost the same spot or sightline, with different framing. Adobe do not want you to do this. They tell you to pick the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that makes sense.

Also, Pictures 3 and 4 are completely different stautes with different vehicles in their hands and differently sculpted helmets. These are 8 separate and unique Art Deco statues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very interesting. I saw them as the same statue exactly. And so will Adobe's reviewers I imagine; they are looking for distint photos, not an art catalog, so a lot of thematically similar work may be rejected as "same". The almost identical cloud formation, a few minutes apart at most, encourages the perception.

Another point: as the statues are more modernist than classical, the reviewer will make their own call about whether they are "modern" (ie last 100 yeats) and hence likely to be protected IP. They do the same to buildings, and may be fooled by really old modern looking work, or really new classical work. But the aim is to accept only work that has IP release, or looks too old to need it, or too generic for anyone in the world to identify it. (Public or promintent work is not exempt from their scrutiny; indeed it's very complex eg the Empire State Building by day is allowed, by night is protected!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's interesting is I had no issues a year ago, before the local sport team used them in their logo. Nothing has changed except for that, as far as I can tell. But I'm also a little crazy. XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you were able to get them accepted a year ago, why are posting again now?

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines