• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone tell me why this was rejected due to "Artifacts"?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

European Honey Bee on red begonia 3.jpg

This image was rejected due to "Artifacts". Where?

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are signs of something in the reflection of the bee's eye and around the eye:

eye artifacts.jpg

The reflection here is a bit blocky! So perhaps the moderator was referring to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The large eye on honeybees is a compound eye is basically a Fresnel lens. In honeybees it is called a closed-rhabdom type of eye were a large number of planes focus light towards the receptor cells. This results in a "blocky" reflection of light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right, Your picture is great in that sense. I love it. But that does not help you to get it into your portfolio...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi kallen,

Magnify your photo to 100% and inspect carefully. You will notice that the hairy part of the bee face is very grainy as in this magnified clip. While the light in the bee eye is not artifacts, it could be a cause for a second rejection under technical issues. Also there are some artificial coloring around the edges of the hairs of the bee. In comparison with the rest of the image, the bee is very grainy as you will notice when you magnify to inspect. It is as if your photo was not taken in RAW.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The picture is great and should have been accepted. However I had also such refusals on plant pictures because of the dust particles. I suggest you stamp out some of the dust on the flower and correct defects like this:

You may also weaken some of the reflection and resubmit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dust particles should not be an issue except it is on the lens of the camera. I specialize in plant photos. My photos are taken in windy dusty area. I don't dust the plants or fruits before a photo shoot, and I don't despot any of my plant, flower or fruit photos. I don't get refusal for dust for any of these images.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! Dust on the plants are normal, but I had rejections too. After editing out the dust and "repairing" the blossom, they passed. But it was very probably also a different approver.

I have also plants that passed with the dust. And I think the dust is normal here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines