• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Check out the latest video for Adobe Stock Contributors!

Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very proud to share with you the latest video produced for Adobe Stock Contributors.

Check it out here: Shoot the Stock Out of It – Tips for a Versatile Photoshoot | Adobe Blog

I hope you like it!

-Mat Hayward

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mat,

Great video. If possible can you share the budget for the shoot? Model cost etc. not necessarily cameras or office space. And how many photos and videos you would end up with and how long you would expect it to take to earn back the expense?

Thanks for your hard work on the forums.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback Greg. This particular shoot was a bit different than a traditional shoot because of the amount of time that was spent and the additional aspect of the video production so the specifics wouldn't really apply to a real-world scenario. That being said, I generally pay between $50 and $100 per hour per model. If I need a full day of shooting we'll negotiate a day rate but most shoots I book are around 2-3 hours. You can get a lot done in that amount of time.

The only other expenses were the small props such as the signs and pens, the confetti and balloons, etc. That all was well under $100. I very rarely pay for a location, if you have a place that is available to you, your home, work, gym, someplace you have a relationship with and can use for a shoot that is best. I have rented an AirBnB in the past but there was an added cost beyond the typical rental fee for commercial use and a signed property release.

How many photos and videos did I end up with? I'm very heavy handed with the shutter so I captured a LOT of content. I think I ended up with around 300 selects from the various different looks we had. With a larger cast of models you can really create a lot of unique looks with smaller groups, individuals, etc. We went from a protest outside to drinking wine at a cafe to Parkour in a park setting, business setups, portraits with various looks and more. Really that was several shoots packed into one day. If you segment out your day you can still get a lot of content and it won't take as long to recoup your costs. How long it will take to earn it back is completely dependent on the quality and subject of your content and the effectiveness of your keywording for search placement.

The bulk of my portfolio consists of images of family, friends, etc. You don't have to spend a lot of money to produce a profitably batch of images and videos for stock. Truly, my best selling model is my golden retriever Hudson His modeling fee is one piece of popcorn.

Fotolia_125321382_XS.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply Mat. It seems like your shoot will be profitable in a short time. 300 good photos is awesome. I shoot a lot of pictures of everything and pick very few too submit. They are only pixels.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines