• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contributor critique - "quality issues" any ideas to help a newbie please?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SA700375.JPG

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

The picture is strongly underexposed, look at the histogram:

Abambo_0-1662894861649.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The picture is strongly underexposed, look at the histogram:

Abambo_0-1662894861649.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'oh! That's really helpful. Many thanks 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a technical point of view, the image is underexposed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timely now.  But ask yourself who will buy this and what are they likely to use it for commercially?  Who will buy it several months or years from now?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea wrote:

Timely now.  But ask yourself who will buy this and what are they likely to use it for commercially?  Who will buy it several months or years from now?

The commercial value of this is quite limited. I would do my picture of this, even with my iPhone, especially because I think that Ma'am looks weird. But it's a cheap picture, if you get a couple of dimes for that, the work you did put-in is probably paid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I agree. And as we Scots say - many a mickle makes a muckle! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, good point of course. My thinking was that as the date of The Queen's death is a piece of history then it would remain historically relevant unlike some random diary date or note. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Apart from the exposure issue, ideally, you should use an image that doesn't date and that can be used for more than one use! This one is relevant now, but not in a few months' time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ricky336 wrote:

Hello,

Apart from the exposure issue, ideally, you should use an image that doesn't date and that can be used for more than one use! This one is relevant now, but not in a few months' time!

In this case it stays relevant. It's the Queen's death date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Queen's passing date will be forgotton when King Charles III is coronated. 

We tend to place greater importance on monarchs' coronations than we do on their dates of death. 

Commercially speaking, I just don't see much sales potential for this.  Just my 2 cents.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the history lesson Nancy 😉. But seriously, that's helpful and valuable advice for a newbie like me.  Many thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question of why I was refused my images is recurrent, and 99% of them are always for the same reasons. So as an answer I have chosen to give you the probable reasons and the possible solutions in general.

However, the first Stocks were born 20 years ago. They have hundreds of thousands of images, see millions of all subjects. It is therefore essential, essential that the quality of your images be irreproachable. What is sought are images with commercial value, put yourself in the shoes of the buyers.

Here are some tips: Be objective with yourself. Did you make a flawless image. Feel free to go to the Stock library to compare your work.

https://stock.adobe.com/

Here I think you started to understand my point 😉

Of course, you can be in the right place, at the right time, in the best conditions and take THE photo….. But that rarely happens.

So, the basis is to know your equipment and your real capacities as a photographer.

Framing: good composition (rule of thirds), horizon line and straight vertical line, guidelines, odd number of subjects, free space for text, etc….

Techniques: light, exposure (histogram), white and color balance, focus.

Post-processing: removal of chromatic aberrations, noise removal, etc.

Shooting: use a tripod if necessary, wireless trigger, filters if necessary...

Your skills: vary your photographic subjects, create collections.

Wanted photos: Follow trends, fashions, seasonality. Humans (Beware of permissions), photos that are difficult to access, photos with drones, contextual images such as parties with folk costumes, daily life, textures such as wood, stone, grass (why not), work in business, food.

To be avoided except for editorial, if necessary authorization required: Recognizable Human, logos, brand, posters, shop name, certain buildings and monuments, etc….

Here you are now ready to provide the best of the best. Good luck !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very kind and helpful guidance note. Many thanks, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines