• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Critique this .png

Participant ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying out the new .png opportunity, but these were rejected for quality issues. I'm guessing they're too blurry? Wondering if .pngs will need to be higher quality than regular jpeg photos? Especially closeups? IMG_6634.pngIMG_6094.png

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Hi @thekohlervillager ,

The element you choose to crop for png has to be very sharp on the edge. While you are cropping you have to make sure you zoom max, beyond 200% to select properly before cropping. You should not be cropping into the background and at the same time you should not be cropping into the subject. The edge is what you have to work with.

Your files have some of the background on the edge.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1662660147021.png

Regards

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

For your question: no, PNGs are subject to the same quality criteria than JPEGs, and I am not convinced that these pictures should pass as JPEG.

In addition, your cutout work is not correctly performed:

Abambo_0-1662802857683.png

Such endings are probably quite sharp and not rounded. You get them sharp, by cutting out and reconstructing, where the cutout goes over the edge.

A trick that I always apply to see if my work is clean: I lay a Stroke (layer effects⇾Stroke) around my cutout. That makes nearly visible leftove

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @thekohlervillager ,

The element you choose to crop for png has to be very sharp on the edge. While you are cropping you have to make sure you zoom max, beyond 200% to select properly before cropping. You should not be cropping into the background and at the same time you should not be cropping into the subject. The edge is what you have to work with.

Your files have some of the background on the edge.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1662660147021.png

Regards

Jacquelin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's actually not the background, but how the edges look on those petals. I debated whether to remove it anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your question: no, PNGs are subject to the same quality criteria than JPEGs, and I am not convinced that these pictures should pass as JPEG.

In addition, your cutout work is not correctly performed:

Abambo_0-1662802857683.png

Such endings are probably quite sharp and not rounded. You get them sharp, by cutting out and reconstructing, where the cutout goes over the edge.

A trick that I always apply to see if my work is clean: I lay a Stroke (layer effects⇾Stroke) around my cutout. That makes nearly visible leftovers highly visible.

Abambo_1-1662803328154.png

My example here is a stroke with a 3 pixels size.

And I strongly agree with @jacquelingphoto2017: the background is shining through. Going to extreme pixel peeking, you will see the green border, coming from the probably green background.

Abambo_2-1662804093831.png

With natural objects, you will always have some overlap. To correct this, you have the Layer⇾Matting-menu in Photoshop. This won't unfortunately not provide always satisfactory results. I lock the transparency and Stamp the nearby colour over the concerned edges.

Even if you clean up all the errors, you will, at least for 6634 have difficulties in getting a viable cutout. It's probably not worth the energy you put in, because of the very complex pattern.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Abambo, for taking the time to give such a detailed reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines