• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Demand for vintage photos on Stock?

Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have hundreds of vintage photos primariliy in the form of 35mm and medium format glass slides.  These were shot by my uncle in the 1950's and 60's.  I am his assignee and hier so the rights are owned by me.  I have documentation that will refelct my ownership of the rights.

Before I cull through and scan them does anyone know if there is there a market for these?  Also, will there be a burdensome process to show I own the rights?

He was a fine photgrapher so some are really nice shots.  

Thanks, John

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

You must meet the quality standards which is very difficult with scans. Recognizable people must be accompanied by signed model releases. If they are deceased, you must be able to verify they have been dead more than 75 years. I do not recommend uploading this type of content.

-Mat 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no chance to get them accepted here. but may be you should just go ahead an prove me wrong.

If you are new to stock, you should consider these resources: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/tutorials.html
Please read the contributor user manual for more information on Adobe stock contributions: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html
See here for rejection reasons: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html
and especially quality and technical issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I could figure out how to scan the medium format glass slides anyway. They are housed in metal sleeves. The photos are neat though.  This one shows some cars that are over 100 years old.

EFCCC1E6-C8E6-4E74-BF09-305B3ED221F9.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google "how to scan medium format glass slides" for some guidance.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think, you need to build yourself a scanner, involving your camera to capture the picture. May be you find decent ideas on youtube. We now have the advantage of very high resolution cameras and by using different exposures, you can increase the dynamic range. This is more about conserving those historic moments than a real commercial application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you search the existing Adobe Stock database using the word "vintage", or "vintage landscape" for instance, you will see some definitely old images, complete with the film scratches and dust marks. The progeny of those images is unknown; perhaps the original photographer is the one who uploaded them, though that seems unlikely. Certainly, any images with people in them would be impossible to get approved because you wouldn't be able to get signed model releases. Adobe's preferred property release doesn't seem to handle such a situation. On the other hand, since the copyright has now been transferred to you, maybe you can just upload them without providing a release. It might be worth the effort to find a few of the best and most saleable ones, scan them in and correct any issues in Lightroom or PS, then upload and see how it goes! You've got nothing to lose except a bit of your time.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images are high quality and of any historic significance, Getty might be interested in them.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, Adobe's contract requires that the account holder is the photographer. A rights holder cannot submit the work of others. Also... Adobe evaluate all photos according to specifications made for modern digital cameras and techniques; vintage work is not likely to pass. There are many great pictures Adobe won't take. For example a unique shot of an incredibly rare animal in the wild doing something of huge scientific importance; rejected if it isn't perfectly in focus... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll probably give it a try with a couple of them.  As Jill mentioned, there are other vitange photos already avaiable on Stock that clearly fall short of the standards applied to modern photos.  If they reject them that's fine.  Below is an example of something already on Stock from the same time period.  Some of mine appear to be as good or better quality.  The challege will be the medium format slides.  It will take a backlit flatbed scanner to scan those.  I'm not going to invest $500+ for this experiment.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 8.30.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I'm wondering whether something as simple as this inexpensive "light table" could provide the illumination you need for the slides?
https://www.amazon.com/LITENERGY-Ultra-Thin-Adjustable-Streaming-Stenciling/dp/B07H7FLJX1/ref=sxin_1...

That, along with a tripod or C stand for your digital camera, could provide fairly high quality renditions of the slides - probably better than a desktop scanner...

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll probably give it a try with a couple of them.  As Jill mentioned, there are other vitange photos already avaiable on Stock that clearly fall short of the standards applied to modern photos.  If they reject them that's fine.  Below is an example of something already on Stock from the same time period.  Some of mine appear to be as good or better quality.  The challege will be the medium format slides.  It will take a backlit flatbed scanner to scan those.  I'm not going to invest $500+ for this experiment.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 8.30.23 AM.png

By @John PDX

For this example, you would need to provide a model release. Or the people need to be dead for some time (I don't remember the exact number of years, however).

@MatHayward may give more insight on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this guy: https://youtu.be/6zXbSCuzFzQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The contributor agreement does not state that the contributor must be the photographer. It states that you must own the IP rights to that photograph: 

"3. Intellectual Property Rights.
3.1 IP Rights. You represent and warrant that you own all rights, title, and interest in and to the Work, including all copyrights, trademarks, patents, rights of privacy, rights of publicity, moral rights, and other proprietary rights (collectively, “IP Rights”), or have all necessary rights and license to grant us the licenses under the Terms. You further represent and warrant that the Work will not infringe the IP Rights of others, contain misleading or false information, or contain any illegal or defamatory content. You will not upload any Work that infringes or violates the IP Rights of any person or entity or that constitutes any libel, slander, or other defamation upon any person or entity. You must also comply with applicable law."

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excerpt from Contributor Submission Guidelines:

"You must own or control all the rights to the files you submit to Adobe Stock. Don’t submit files that don’t belong to you, such as photos taken by your spouse. Don’t incorporate anything into your content that was created by someone else — not even images you got from a website that allows free downloads — unless you have a complete property release from the owner of the other content. "

If I read this correctly, providence of works obtained from dead ancestors  is hard to prove.  I know because I'm in the same leaky boat.  Did they take the photos themselves or buy them?  Were they cataloged and described in the ancestor's estate?  I have many boxes of vintage & antique photos going way back.  In the absence of proper cataloging, I'm stuck with them.

Maybe I'll do what my ancestors did to me and let my survivors deal with them when the time comes. 😖

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also the keeper of many old photographs from my ancestors.  Among them I have a bunch of photos on metal plates.  I presume they are more than 100 years old.  I'm sure they are photos of my relatives.  I would never try to upload them to stock since I can't attribute them to anyone in particuar.  They are fun to look through though.  I love this formal photo that includes a barefoot kid.

Metal plate 01.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have quite a few TinTypes, a popular process from 1860  - 1915.

Of course I have no idea who the people or photographers were.  Not too many folks had cameras then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - they could afford a formal portrait, but not shoes for the kid...

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not have to show proof that you are owner. By uploading you already acknowledge that you are owner. Your biggest problem is taht after scanning, the quality of the images will probably not meet the strict Adobe standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must meet the quality standards which is very difficult with scans. Recognizable people must be accompanied by signed model releases. If they are deceased, you must be able to verify they have been dead more than 75 years. I do not recommend uploading this type of content.

-Mat 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone interested, I submitted the below photo Friday and it was accepted. 

Antique Autos.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations! Did you have to do much editing? I guess that your experiment proves that vintage images are acceptable, even if they're not up to current technical standards.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I did the following:

• Adjusted the exposure including setting the white and black points
  • Adjusted the white balance to make it less yellow
  • Smoothed some blotches in the sky
  • Increased the saturation to restore dull colors
  • Removed some dust spots
  • Blurred a license plate and the faces of both children.  

I didn't apply any sharpening or noise reduction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is contrary to what @MatHayward is saying. 

Especially the blurring does not seem in-line with even the most simple quality requirement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully someone buys it.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines