• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Doesn't meet our quality standards - input please

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a series of 10 images, this image was not accepted due to not meeting quality standards. I wonder how as all the images are from the same series and 9 others were accepted. What is wrong with this particular image? Please help me understand their reasoning. Thanks.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Hello,

Noise becomes noticeable - especially in the sky - when you zoom in to 100%

_DSC3420 copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Noise is quite apparent in the sky when zoomed in and there's a halo around each of the balloons.

As to why only 1 in the series was rejected, you'd have to examine each more closely to see if the others have the same technical issues. Also, it's possible that different Moderators worked on your submission, and there is certainly some variability in the moderation process.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Thanks, everyone for the feedback, and after reading the inputs, and comparing it with the other images that were accepted, it clearly is a quality issue, and I have to admit that I have been lazy in my editing process in the case of this one image. Although most think the ISO is the issue, it doesn't look like that's the problem at all. All images show the same level of noise as they were shot using the same ISO. The ISO is only 1000 and was necessary as the balloons were backlit and I used ETT

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

I agree, ISO 1000 can be high but not on a Nikon D5. I think the issue is more the edge created around the balloons after correcting the background including the major background mistake at the balloon bucket. The noise is vertically the same in all images so if the noise was the problem, all the images should have been rejected. Logically, that's what should have happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

@ninas78615645 wrote:

The noise is vertically the same in all images so if the noise was the problem, all the images should have been rejected. Logically, that's what should have happened. 

If the noise level is the same in all images, you are right, they deserve to be thrown out all. As we did not see the other pictures, I am unable to check on the differences. 

And yes, errors in editing can also cause that halo, as can HDR processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

ISO 1000 is high, regardless of the camera! Noise in this particular shot is an issue, as well as the halo. However, some cameras can deal with noise very well, a lot better than with the earlier cameras. Whether it is noticeable will depend on other factors as well as post-processing. As @Abambo said, HDR also can make noise a lot more noticeable.

So, there is more than one issue. Quality rejections usually include more than just one single thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually like your picture and for the life of me cant understand why it didnt pass. I have had lots of pictures that didnt meet adobes requirements, but some of them I intentionally blured.

good luck with your other images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but some of them I intentionally blured.

By @Ivan.Westbrook

That's a clear refusal. Stock is not for artistic pictures.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that too and they have all been approved. But then the noise has been much worse than what it is in this image. Little light and ISO 4000 on a Nikon D5 can create a lot of noise...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignoring the quality for now (though I think someone more skilled than me may have something to say about the sharpness of the subject), did you upload IP releases for each balloon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They didn't ask for that at all, they said my image didn't meet the quality standards - quality issues. If they want a model or property release they normally ask for them so that's not the problem in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding IP, your assumption is not necessarily correct. If technical issues were the first thing the Moderator noticed, that's the rejection reason they use. The image could ALSO have IP issues, but they can only select one reason to reject.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that and if that was the case all images from the same series should have been rejected. Logically that is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Noise becomes noticeable - especially in the sky - when you zoom in to 100%

_DSC3420 copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noise is quite apparent in the sky when zoomed in and there's a halo around each of the balloons.

As to why only 1 in the series was rejected, you'd have to examine each more closely to see if the others have the same technical issues. Also, it's possible that different Moderators worked on your submission, and there is certainly some variability in the moderation process.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you analyse your image at 100% and at 200%, you will see many technical issues, probably because you applied a lot of sharpening. The halo, that @Jill_C mentioned, is a direct consequence of excessive sharpening.

Abambo_0-1662749906144.png

The noise is a consequence of the high ISO you did set to take that picture. As you also took that picture at a 1/1250s, I would guess, that you had ample reserves to lower your ISO. You should always try to shoot at the lowest ISO possible. If you need a high ISO, you really need to carefully reduce the noise to near to 0.

If your other pictures show the same issues, the first customer complaining about your assets will get them removed from the database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone for the feedback, and after reading the inputs, and comparing it with the other images that were accepted, it clearly is a quality issue, and I have to admit that I have been lazy in my editing process in the case of this one image. Although most think the ISO is the issue, it doesn't look like that's the problem at all. All images show the same level of noise as they were shot using the same ISO. The ISO is only 1000 and was necessary as the balloons were backlit and I used ETTR. Hence, my background also got too overexposed, which I tried to recover, and this is where the hard edge around the balloon that Abambo pointed out comes in. Not sharpening but adjusting the exposure level on the background only. This image was shot at f5 while the others were shot on f8, so that's the difference right there. There's also another huge mistake that I didn't see until I posted it here, so I guess I have to let Adobe win this round 😉

Thanks again for all the feedback though. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

High ISO will introduce noise. ISO 1000 is high! The level of noise that is visible will also depend on the post-processing.

Noise is clearly an issue in this particular shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, ISO 1000 can be high but not on a Nikon D5. I think the issue is more the edge created around the balloons after correcting the background including the major background mistake at the balloon bucket. The noise is vertically the same in all images so if the noise was the problem, all the images should have been rejected. Logically, that's what should have happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ninas78615645 wrote:

The noise is vertically the same in all images so if the noise was the problem, all the images should have been rejected. Logically, that's what should have happened. 

If the noise level is the same in all images, you are right, they deserve to be thrown out all. As we did not see the other pictures, I am unable to check on the differences. 

And yes, errors in editing can also cause that halo, as can HDR processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ISO 1000 is high, regardless of the camera! Noise in this particular shot is an issue, as well as the halo. However, some cameras can deal with noise very well, a lot better than with the earlier cameras. Whether it is noticeable will depend on other factors as well as post-processing. As @Abambo said, HDR also can make noise a lot more noticeable.

So, there is more than one issue. Quality rejections usually include more than just one single thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there ricky, yes I agree it's more than noise in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines