Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feedback requested for photos that are rejected for technical reasons

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

Several of my photos were rejected for technical reasons. Requesting some feedback from the community. Thank you in advance for your help and guidance. 

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @schatrathi ,

That is a very nice photograph. I like it. However, too much is out of focus. I believe you did not have enough depth of field and also you placed the focus too short.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jacquelingphoto2017 ,

Thank you! That's helpful. I am assuming that the surface of the road (closest to the viewer) is in focus while the rest of the landscape is "soft"? 

It was shot at f/10 at 1/400 exposure. Any advice on how to improve it, if I were to re-shoot it, of course 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @schatrathi,

F/10 is too shallow for that distance. You'll need to set f-stop at over 20. If nothing is moving you can take shutter speed to as low as 1/60 or even lower if you use a tripod. While you might want to keep ISO low, remember that is also important when determining the exposure and exposure depends on factors such as the time of day and weather condition. In this case your focal point should be at least 1/3 away from the base of the frame. When you take the shot, zoom in to make sure it's sharp, or at least most of it is sharp. The forefront should be sharp.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot most of my landscapes at f10-f11; but you have to estimate the hyper-focal distance which is generally about a third of the way into the frame and focus on that point. I think you could have lightened the shadows on the barn slightly since it is quite dark.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what has already been said, the shed needs to be lightened a bit and you have a sensor spot to the right of the shed and half way up the sky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not persuaded, that focus is the major problem here. It would, however be interesting to know where you did focus. For landscapes, you need to choose a focus point somewhere farer away, but not at the farest point possible. 

The biggest problem is here the processing introducing a very saturated picture and the dust spots that need to be corrected. I also thing that noise reduction and sharpening is to pronounced. Noise reduction eats details and sharpening adds kind of a halo effect.

4742A48A-8166-45E5-A699-9B92C8D1E0AF.jpeg

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines