• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hello! I would really appreciate someones insight of how I can improve this photograph.

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sunset.JPG

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Fotolia , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

The lens flare results in a blown out area which can be minimized by properly composing the image. Lens flare can be beautiful if done well, but definitely requires some practice. Overall, the image is quite blurry.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never shoot directly in the sun in order to avaoid light flares.

Here is my idea:

sunset-Edit.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I admire Ralph's optimism, always trying to embellish pictures that in themselves are unsalvageable. He does an impressive job, don't you think so? However, in one point I have to disagree with Ralph, I quite often photograph into direct sunlight, especially to capture the lens flare.  And you need full control of your camera. My camera is always in manual mode and I take exposure brackets. One rule, however, needs to be followed: the rest of the image has to be sharp. Here, for your picture, the biggest problem is effectively motion blur. I assume that the camera is a small-sensor camera, like a mobile phone. Such cameras are commonly overwhelmed by the extreme light conditions in backlit shots.

By the way, you should be careful not to look directly into the sunlight and not to expose the camera to these extreme conditions for too long. This damages your own eyes and, of course, the sensor.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is worth noting there is no easy way to pull if this sort of photo, but if you are comfortable with layers and combining exposures in photoshop there are several methods that will pop up using your favorite search engine (google, bing, etc.).  This photo would need to be taken again using those methods.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lens flare results in a blown out area which can be minimized by properly composing the image. Lens flare can be beautiful if done well, but definitely requires some practice. Overall, the image is quite blurry.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I appreciate it. 

I am just getting into the photography world right now and would like to properly learn how to fix photos.

Does anyone know a good course to take starting off to learn or of any good programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are many useful courses on the website Creative Live. They regularly have courses on sale and usually some streaming for free as well. Of course, you can also find a ton of content on YouTube. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines