• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High Image rejections on iPhone 11 Pro Max

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that even images taken for stock on low ISO on my iPhone 11 Pro Max have a high rejection rate for noise and artifices. Has anyone else experienced that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Under ideal lighting conditions, iPhones can give decent results.  However, this image is spoiled by too many distracting reflections.  I can't be sure but there may be IP issues on the fuel line, too.

A nice idea that didn't quite work this time.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

As Nancy indicated, it's not impossible to get iPhone images accepted if they're taken under ideal lighting conditions; however the bright spots, shiny surfaces and reflections aren't doing you any favors here. If you zoom in you'll see that many of those areas have artifacts and just look blurry. Had this image not been rejected for "technical issues", it would definitely have been rejected for IP issues, because there are a number of areas where manufacturer's part numbers and logos are displa

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have found the answer to my question on other threads. I will use Lightroom to take still if I don't have my DSLR with me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under ideal lighting conditions, iPhones can give decent results.  However, this image is spoiled by too many distracting reflections.  I can't be sure but there may be IP issues on the fuel line, too.

A nice idea that didn't quite work this time.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By @Nancy OShea

Hi Nancy,

There are many IP violations in the picture, but most could be easily edited out:

• Window, you see the Hyundai logo.
  • The cover also shows the Hyundai logo.
  • The CE logo is a logo, but may pass. I've never tried it, however.

@nishis38817238,

If you look at the tires and a little everywhere, you see the typical washed out structures of small sensor cameras.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Nancy indicated, it's not impossible to get iPhone images accepted if they're taken under ideal lighting conditions; however the bright spots, shiny surfaces and reflections aren't doing you any favors here. If you zoom in you'll see that many of those areas have artifacts and just look blurry. Had this image not been rejected for "technical issues", it would definitely have been rejected for IP issues, because there are a number of areas where manufacturer's part numbers and logos are displayed.

Not sure what you mean by "use Lightroom to take still". If the LR interface still uses the phone's built-in camera, that will not overcome the problems.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The problem with smartphone cameras is that they save to JPEG or in the case of iPhone HEIC (if you choose), and in-camera processing and this leads to compression artifacts. Under normal conditions, this is fine as smartphone images are not usually enlarged to billboard size or cropped to a small area and enlarged, which could be the case with stock photos!

Cameras with a larger sensor size give a cleaner image when enlarged - enter DSLR or mirrorless cameras.

Smartphone cameras are really an evolution of the point-and-shoot camera era.

To have more control of the smartphone camera/iPhone, you should save it in DNG and then edit it in an application such as Adobe Lightroom. You have a lot more control in post-processing then

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP would also need a polarizing filter on their lens to counteract the reflection problems.  I don't know if polarizing filters are even available for iPhones.  I've never checked.  If they exist, B&H would have them.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use my iphones a lot, right now on the iphone 13 pro max.

But: usually outdoors in very good light. Sometimes in the studio if I shoot small objects and want a good level of depth of field. Stacking images from a camera with a larger sensor would be better but the iphone is much faster.

I do very, very little post processing.

And: I usually downsize by 30%, sometimes 50%

However most days I carry the combo of Ricoh Gr 3 for photos and the iphone more for video, especially editorial video. But I do think the newer iphones are very usable as a walk around camera

In your case it is not just the iphone that is giving you problems, reflections and copyright issues as well.

But if you practise outdoors and maby shoot in raw, the iphones can give beautiful images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines