• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does DOF affect adobe stock selection?

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found several images have been rejected for technical issues. Exposure etc are all fine, however, I've noticed that images shot at 1.4 have a higher chance of being rejceted than images shot at lower F numbers. Does adobe stock focus on getting the whole subject in focus, thus forcing images to be taken in parallel, over a slither of the subject being in focus? 

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the Moderators do not seem to value or find acceptable very shallow DOF; in this case, I don't think that's the only issue with the image, however. It's not well composed, with some odd bits of light and debris scattered in the background, the primary leaf fully in focus, and not well isolated (there's another leaf just behind it competing for attention), and blown-out highlights on the leaves, which aren't that attractive to begin with since they are dirty and blotchy. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you look at what other Adobe Stock contributors are doing in the same category before you submit another one.  It may help you better understand what Adobe Stock accepts.  Image quality needs to be very high. 

Holly Leaf

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think DOF is a reason in itself. The composition has to be good with the subject isolated from the background in a good way. Here it isn't good; it is also not that well focused in general.

The image quality here is not high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @cosplaywithfear , the displayed leaves are definitely not focused and you must work on your post processing. You blackenend out most of the underlying leaves but not all of them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found several images have been rejected for technical issues. Exposure etc are all fine, (...)

By @cosplaywithfear

Exposure is not fine on this picture. It's underexposed. You need to look at the histogram. In addition to that, it is not well composed. As a bit of free space is welcome, yours is too much and ill placed.

If you are doing DOF, do it correctly. Having only a bit of the leave in focus is not enough. I've submitted quite some pictures with a limited DOF and those refused got refused correctly (most of the time).

I agree with most of the comments here, and well, I agree with the moderator's decision.

If you are new to stock, you should consider these resources: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/tutorials.html
Please read the contributor user manual for more information on Adobe stock contributions: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html
See here for rejection reasons: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html
and especially quality and technical issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @cosplaywithfear ,

There is too much black negative space. If you want to isolate a section of a subject you simply zoom in on the section you want to isolate. The frame is under exposed and is not well focused. The entire subject must be properly focused. You adjust f-stop to have that done. Once your subject stands out and well focused the reviewer have no concern with you depth of field. In your case it is not a depth of field issue. It is your composition and focus.

Out of focus

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1624407818024.png

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines