• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrative Editorial rejections - looking for some clarity

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  This is my first time posting to a forum so be bear with me please.  I've been able to submit Illustrative Editorial images to Adobe, and while I'm happy most are accepted and getting downloads, I'm a bit confused by the ones rejected as they are similar in subject matter and photographic style to ones that have been accepted. I'm not here to complain, just get a better understanding of it all.

I primarily submit toys/action figures of pop culture characters, mostly recreating scenes from movies or comics (Star Wars, Sci-fi, superheros, horror characters, etc etc). While the accepted images are of 'faceless' figures such as Darth Vader or Spiderman or Jason Voorhees (hockey mask) or other characters such as the Hulk, I've noticed that the action figures with a 'humanoid' face get rejected for "Illustrative Editorial Issue" almost every time.

Some of these action figures are of fictional or cartoon characters that do not exist in real life so this is where I am a bit confused by the rejection, as there are no actual people in any of my editorial images.

I believe I'm following the guidelines:

• The file includes identifiable people. (these are toys/action figures not actual people - information which I include in my captions stating the character and manufacturer of the figure)
  • The file is news or documentary editorial. (this is not documentary editorial, they are all desktop setups)
  • The file did not have a strong editorial concept. (I'm recreating scenes from pop culture - movies or television or comics and not just submitting toys isolated on a white background and the character are still culturally relevant)
  • We are looking for imagery intended to illustrate articles on current events and news, focused on conceptual imagery using real brands and products to convey strong ideas. (as stated, I am submitting current pop cultural concepts using branded products such as Hasbro, Neca, Mego or Kenner (the action figures) and state that in the caption)

Here are some low res images recently rejected to help illustrate what I'm talking about-

This Captain America is not based on any actual person or actor:

220_F_370430553_hGCpTHj2ojwTVtR5unpQmWKmUizv2CpZ.jpg

This is Ahsoka Tano who is a cartoon character and not based on any real person:

220_F_399382821_k3iy3mtBDuELsfZj1x1Te1rZVJdgg5hH.jpg

This is a 12 inch "Ken"style" figure with a Star Wars stormtrooper helmet (I included that in the caption that it was an action figure) and is not an actual person (and I've had plenty of Star Wars stormtrooper image approved already:

220_F_404174928_jF88ZJF2BGSN9oHmum96TVyyG9L5PGLy.jpg

Here is Michal Myers, a movie character that wears a mask, again no actual person is shown:

220_F_382463465_r0YV3exMywe2cM0AZqkOhQq4XQnGU73C.jpg

Looking forward to some feedback/help here as I want to submit but don't want to submit things I know will not be accepted as long as there is clear guidance on it. Thanks.

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

I've had your rejected files audited and all have been put online with the exception of the Storm Trooper in a suit. While I understand it's a custom made action figure, it doesn't align with the intent of the Illustrative Editorial Collection as it looks more like a Cosplay person than an action figure. The other files are now online. Thanks for the post, I love your portfolio! It's super fun and has provided me with some inspiration.

Cheers!

Mat 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for writing. I am looking into this for you. I have a suspicion there was a question as to whether the images were people in costume and not action figures as some are very realistic looking. 

I'll let you know what I find out ASAP.

-Mat 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Mat

I guess I should take the rejections as a compliment? 🙂  I strive to make these somewhat realistic but still identifiable as action figures in some way - but I shall await your findings. Thanks for the quick reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had your rejected files audited and all have been put online with the exception of the Storm Trooper in a suit. While I understand it's a custom made action figure, it doesn't align with the intent of the Illustrative Editorial Collection as it looks more like a Cosplay person than an action figure. The other files are now online. Thanks for the post, I love your portfolio! It's super fun and has provided me with some inspiration.

Cheers!

Mat 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mat,

Sorry, we were posting at the same time, I just saw your reply after I replied.

OK fair enough I suppose on the stormtrooper.  But one last question then if you don't mind.

Images like this, which are also action figures but have the faces, are they acceptable?  Then I promise not to bug you
And thanks for the kind words and assistance!

220_F_361678490_r016JxlGlELZeAfnztxa00dfG2n4wf8e.jpg220_F_360096456_eJBFf7arbLyfOHT1OFRvNfwYzP6Rd6b8.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Now I am more confused, one of the files was just re-rejected as 'non-compliant' so I'm assuming someone took another look?

Non-compliant file

This reason means that your content doesn’t comply with our Contributor Agreement. Content may be non-compliant due to watermarks, inappropriate or irrelevant keywords or image titles, or questionable, or defamatory content. Your file is also rejected as non-compliant if you receive a reminder to submit a model or property release, or resolve a problem with a release, and you resubmit the file without addressing the issue.

I don't think this falls under any of the reasons listed in the non-compliant reject.

If anyone thinks it's a real person, I wanted to send a snap showing that is an action figure (sorry its loading sideways)

IMG_1122.JPG

Curious to hear someone's thoughts on this, again I'm just here to try to understand.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines