• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improper licensing of illegal use of video asset.

Contributor ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Does Adobe pursue use or improper licensing of a contributors assets? A major New York News station is currently basing its entire graphics package for weather coverage of 2021 Hurricane events on this particular video assets. The asset in question has not been licensed in well over 12 weeks and if it is licensed, views of this asset have well exceeded 500,000 views. What is my recourse if asset was not legally or properly licensed for use by this organization?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Video assets are provided an Enhanced license which allows for unlimited views. 

https://stock.adobe.com/license-terms

Kind regards,

Mat Hayward 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought: They may well have acquired a enhanced license well ahead of this use!

See here for more information on how to report suspected improper use of your assets: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/content-usage.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were an enhanced license a factor the royalty would have reflected it and it would have been labeled "custom" license in the activity report. The asset has sold three times with never an enhanced license.

I'm trying to get Adobe to state whether this company has ever licensed the asset. If not I can at least pursue it through an attorney. If they have then I can stick to protocol and let Adobe handle it. At this point after getting replies from Adobe, I get the impression they don't really care or pursue misuse or unlicensed use of contributor assets. Hope I am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome to proceed as you like. Except for the links and pointing out to procedures, you can't get help from the forum in this matter. I'll move this to the stock contributor's forum, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a lawyer, but I was looking at the terms and noticed this for enhanced video licenses: "Include the asset in email marketing, mobile advertising, or a broadcast or digital program if the expected number of viewers is fewer than 500,000"

One interpretation of this is that the limit is 500,000 viewers PER BROADCAST, not a total over time. Obviously you'd need a lawyer to tell you what their interpretation is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to correct myself. The text comes from the standard license; it's the enhanced license which says "Reproduce the asset beyond the 500,000 copy/viewer restriction."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video assets are provided an Enhanced license which allows for unlimited views. 

https://stock.adobe.com/license-terms

Kind regards,

Mat Hayward 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is no standard license for video assets? / and a contributor can never make a higher than standard royalty?  That's ok with me if that's the terms - just seems like that would not be the case - that a license would contain some limitation of use at a certain number of views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If it is a video asset, you always make the highest royalty. You can't make a lower than enhanced licence royalty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines