• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licensing (sign off) procedure for car illustration.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to contribute an illustration of a classic style Hot-Rod car with flames down the side. The image was manually traced over a photo from a photographer with permission. I even gained permission from the car owner via social media. If I wanted to upload this illustration to Adobe Stock, would I need to get a sign off form from the photographer, the car owner or even from Ford who originally made the car in the 1930's. HOT-ROD.jpgGratefully.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need a property release from the owner. I don't think you also need to submit a release from the photographer, but it wouldn't hurt to have it on hand.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the almost instant advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice drawing. 

You will need a property release from the car owner and probably also from the flame designer as you just copied the design and did not do your own one. If you would create a different patern, you would need nothing. The flames are the elements that make the car recognizable. And that is what is important.

Imagine a designer finding out about a competitor using your drawing to advertize his services...

This is my personal advice, but I cannot rule out that you still need more releases to be legally correct. I do not think, however, that the initial car designer will strike you with a claim. I'm not an Adobe employee.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice. The original flame designer did a good job, that would be difficult to beat / change!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original flame designer did a good job, that would be difficult to beat / change!

By @paul22253881z73b

That's why it is forbidden to copy other one's artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have decided to add my own flames to another illustration that I have done of my own car using my own photograph. I'm guessing that this would be a release free process!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will still need to include your own property release as the artist.  🙂

Rob R, Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess that's not so difficult! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess too! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you might still need a release from the car manufacturer. I'm not sure how Adobe decide on this. Make sure at least to remove trademarked features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about this one? The car was mine and I took the photo. I vectorised the artwork and illustrated the flames myself. Would I need a release for this?

It may not be a highly commercial asset but I'm finding my feet and learning about releases.

ThanksMODERN HOT-ROD-01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Ford probably and could be refused on IP grounds:

Abambo_0-1640691837389.png

I would remove the oval.

As for the rest, I would submit without and check the grounds. You can always resubmit with a release. But if you want to add the release now, please do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this advice. I have submitted without the oval. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines