Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for feedback on rejecteed landscape pictures

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone I am a hobbyist looking to improve my photography skills

What do you think is wrong with the pictures below and how can they be improved?

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may find that trying to improve your skills by sending to a commercial service which demands the best possible professional work is a difficult or frustrating way to learn. There are many kinds of technical issues, some of them need a trained eye and close magnification. Some are simple, and some are art ("composition").

Tunnel and field are not level, woods may not be level. This is specifically shown as a fault in Adobe's documentation.

The tunnel is too dark. I know it's a dark tunnel, but the contrasting parts need to be sharp, clear and well lit. Also the large element at the left of the tunnel is hard to understand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To your point, it makes sense for it to be difficult, this is why it will be so satisfying when some get accepted.

To which part of the documentation are you refering? I'd love to read some more about it.

Also what does "level" mean in this specific case? Like it not original enough of a topic or?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are new to stock, you should consider these resources: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/tutorials.html
Please read the contributor user manual for more information on Adobe stock contributions: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html
See here for rejection reasons: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html
and especially quality and technical issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, mayby a bit lighter in shadows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The composition isn't very good I'm afraid!

How could these photos be used commercially?

Have a read of this from Adobe about how to create better photos:
https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/how-to/tips-stock-image-acceptance.html?set=stock--fundamentals--adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the article. It was very interesting and will serve as a good guide. Could you please send some more please?

To your question "How could these photos be used commercially?".
Regarding the field I must have sumbitted it because of how good I felt at that moment in the field. Therefore I have mistaken sentimental for commercial value in that case.

Regarding the tunnel pictures. I saw a bunch of articles about old subway tunnels needing maintenance so I thought this could be a good shot for such type of articles. Perhaps the mistake in this case was that I did not convey such uses.

Could you post som more reading or tips regarding composition and your thought process about how something can be commercially viable please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should begin by reading the Adobe Help files:

Stock Contributor Learn & Support (adobe.com)

Follow the links from there.

There are a gazillion YouTube videos, blogs and everything under the sun about this topic.

Some are good, some are not. Take your pick.

I can't really recommend anything in particular, as my knowledge has come from books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is great. What books? I prefer that method because it appears more collected to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Viktor5FA5 ,

Here are a number of kindles featuring shutter speed, landscape lighting, exposure and other topics about photography grouped together that you can benefit from - https://incomepayout.blogspot.com/p/kindle-ebooks-on-amazon.html. It would require buying them, or probably if you subscribe to kindle read. There is also LinkedIn Learn where you can watch courses on photography. Again you would need to subscribe.

Please note that kindles can also be viewed on your mobile phones and tablets using the kindle app.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Viktor5FA5 ,

Please do this; zoom your photos to between 100 and 200% to inspect them. They are all out of focus. You need to set the correct depth of field and to make sure they are in focus before snapping. To take landscapes need higher number F-stop than close-ups do. 

The tunnel is way under exposed. There is too much of a black area where there are no details. If you zoom in on the black area you will notice it is not smooth black. It has some purple mixed in. That is color noise. The black should be black. The end of the tunnel is out of focus. The tunnel perspective is fine.

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1616875456722.png

Out of focus

jacquelingphoto2017_3-1616875743161.png

Too much of the road photo is out of focus (see above for reason). There is a white balance issue. The image is too blue (cool) - the green is not green, and it too is underexposed.

There is not a problem with the perspective. The horizon  is based on the contour of the landscape. The road is level.

This photo seem to be noisy also, and there seem to be distorted pixels.

jacquelingphoto2017_4-1616876321028.png

The field is completely out of focus. Judging from the plants the perspective is slightly out. However because there seem to be a slope and the horizon is so close to the edge of the frame. you'd need to use the tool in camera raw that makes both horizontal and vertical corrections.

jacquelingphoto2017_5-1616876772037.png

Sorry, none of these can be resubmitted. You will need to take fresh photos.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out specific details this has been very helpful. I see that you are a writer and I'd love to read some of your things.

Also in your experience what could be the causes of bad focus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Viktor5FA5 ,

A number of things could cause bad focus. If you use auto-focus, it could be that you are too close to your subject or do not understand how to know when your subject is in focus of the camera. Your camera usually come with a notification beep, or view indicator light that indicate when it is in focus. If you use a DSLR camera full manual mode, then you need to adjust the lens accordingly until the indicator light inside the view finder is steady, or until you see the subject in full view without blur and with sharp edges. To operate focus manually requires the use of a tripod to avoid movements. For landscape you need to capture focus about 1/3 from you. For object it is about  a 1/2. The edges of your subjects must appear sharp. in the view finder, or on screen if you choose to use the camera monitor. For details about the different features of your camera and how they work look for your name and model camera online manual if you did not get one with your camera.

I will send you a direct message with your request.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the tunnel pictures. I saw a bunch of articles about old subway tunnels needing maintenance so I thought this could be a good shot for such type of articles.

Hi @Viktor5FA5,

You are not eligble to submit Editorial Use Only images. Sorry.   Adobe obtains those from known agencies and partners they work with.

Everything you submit must be tip top and ready for million dollar commercial use.  That's what Adobe Stock customers pay for. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

In addition to taking some photography courses, you should look at what other Stock Contributors are doing in your keyword categories to get a feel for what sells. 

Adobe Stock Tunnel Images

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback, the links you provided are very helpful and I will keep them closeby and think more like a buyer in order to provide the most value.

According to you what pictures are needed except the ones pointed out in the trends or you can't tell me because of personal reasons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines