• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Movie Monsters / Serial Killer Designs VS Copyright

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've designed a bunch of movie monsters and real life serial killers. Fully vector graphics with my own takes of the characters so no photo or copies or too-alike likeness. Yet they're Always rejected due to copyright on every single stock site including Adobe.

But when I search adobe stock for Pennywise or anything I find lots of designs there...now...how does that work. Is it just my bad luck with people who control check my submission or have they done anything else that I have not done in my artwork?

How should I intepret the rules of movie monster designs?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

They have to be YOUR characters. Your inventions completely. Not just changed a bit. You cannot copyright "your take" on copyright work. You also need an IP release in all cases. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

If what you have created is your creation, you should add a property release. If they are designed after existing creations, you are out of luck. Those belong to the creators. You need to be careful, even slight resemblance could be considered as copyright infringement.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Check the asset's license.  If it's Editorial Use Only, it cannot be sold commercially.  It can be used only for journalism, news articles or blogs about the subject.

Also you cannot use copyrighted or trademarked names in your Keywords or descriptions.  Godzilla is a registered trademark.  So is Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Freddie Kruger, etc...

If you want to succeed in microstock, hire models to illustrate and have them sign a model release.  Or create something totally original from you

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we help you?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have to be YOUR characters. Your inventions completely. Not just changed a bit. You cannot copyright "your take" on copyright work. You also need an IP release in all cases. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If what you have created is your creation, you should add a property release. If they are designed after existing creations, you are out of luck. Those belong to the creators. You need to be careful, even slight resemblance could be considered as copyright infringement.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check the asset's license.  If it's Editorial Use Only, it cannot be sold commercially.  It can be used only for journalism, news articles or blogs about the subject.

Also you cannot use copyrighted or trademarked names in your Keywords or descriptions.  Godzilla is a registered trademark.  So is Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Freddie Kruger, etc...

If you want to succeed in microstock, hire models to illustrate and have them sign a model release.  Or create something totally original from your imagination and sign a property release by you as the artist.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines