• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie needing critique

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm brand new to Adobe products and submitting stock. I've  had a few drawings submitted and approved. I submitted some challenging pictures of snow covering red roses, a few of which were rejected for quality issues.  I did the edits I learned thus far from courses and tutorials to try to make the  details pop, but apparently didn't do them appropriately. I shared my edits to discover as well so everyone could see what I changed. 

https://lightroom.app.link/NWmbOh6g5ub 

My Favorite rejected 

Can someone please help me understand how to get beautiful images such as these edited to approval. I know white snow and red roses was a challenge.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Your pictures are out of focus, and full of artefact an noise. Look at your pictures at 100% and if you see the image being not sharp, forget it. Don't even try to edit, you can't correct focussing problems.

I suspect also that you are using a small sensor camera like a phone. They produce only good images when the conditions are excellent.

Your first has also a white balance issue (too cool or blue). Opening the Lightroom link, looking at the unedited shot, the white balance is OK. But stil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your pictures are out of focus, and full of artefact an noise. Look at your pictures at 100% and if you see the image being not sharp, forget it. Don't even try to edit, you can't correct focussing problems.

I suspect also that you are using a small sensor camera like a phone. They produce only good images when the conditions are excellent.

Your first has also a white balance issue (too cool or blue). Opening the Lightroom link, looking at the unedited shot, the white balance is OK. But still, the picture is doomed, because of the initial focus and artefacts situation.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your honest straight foward explanation. My S21 usually does pretty good but between the bit of wind and glare from the snow, I did struggle to capture an in focus picture, that day. I thought "sharpen" and "clarity" would help with that, good to know they don't help that much. I wish I could afford a decent camera 🤷‍:female_sign: maybe if my phone doesn't crap out next year, I can.

Yes I see, I did take the blue too far on that one.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe give macro photography a try. I took these with my S21 Ultra. Haven't uploaded them to stock, but if you zoom in, you don't see noise and artifacts so much. The lighting needs to be good, too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These would probably be rejected by Adobe moderators because they're not sharply focused. 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second image is out of focus. The two others have quite a low DoF, but they may pass. I wouldn't bet my camera on this, however. Just try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are really pretty, I have some similar. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what @Abambo said, the shadows are underexposed. What did you use for a camera? Did you phootograph in RAW and then exported to JPEG in Lightroom? If so, your noise and artifacts might be due to over sharpening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just learning about raw in CH4 of a course I'm taking on LinkedIN. The first 3 chapters were the many different ways to open my files...lol. I am just capturing the beauty I find along my path with my S21 Phone Camera. I did set the camera to save a RAW of each image. I opened my image using Lighroom but I don't remember seeing the .DNG file. I got confused about half way through that video. I probably need to revisit it. Yeah I probably did oversharpen trying to bring it into better focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also thank you for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the others. Photos themselves are too low quality. They need to look sharp and smooth when you zoom in at 100% after making your adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have indicated, the technical issues here are numerous and unfixable. While photographing and editing flowers is good practice for a beginning photographer, Adobe stock is already flooded with floral images, so I wouldn't invest a lot of time hoping to sell one. Just search on "red rose snow" and you will see >18,000 images which will help you to see the quality level that Adobe expects.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m going to be a bit harsh, but this is for all image lovers out there. If we could replace the images taken with "24 x 36" cameras with smartphones, that would be known. The progress made by smartphones in photography is undeniable. But it's still an extra just in case. It's OK for social networks too, viewing on 6" screens is perfect. But Stock sends these sales to professionals who will use them on different media, who will also work on these images. Be objective, go see the sellers' libraries. Don't make any concessions....this picture is not bad....for you yes, but for stock only the best is good enough. Get to work! and good luck in your progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you do not need a full frame camera. First, there is the light situation. Smaller sensors need ideal light. Bigger sensors can work out with lesser ideal situations. Then there is the camera settings. Best is, if you can easily change from full automatic to full manual. Automatic settings are not really great, if it comes to anything other than snapshots. My last is the quality of the lens. Having the possibility, to change from the kit lens to a high quality zoom, or even better, prime lens, will greatly enhance the technical quality of your pictures. 

But it is true, the bigger the sensor, the better are your chances to produce high quality images. A decent used full frame camera is probably better than any latest phone camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great idea.  Even if I need to buy new lenses later... as long as the camera is in sound condition...This time of year I might be able to find something in a second hand shop or wait until after Xmas & get a Christmas clearance open box special. Thank for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Some people dump their excellent gear, when the next model comes out. And the change from DSLR to mirrorless cameras has also dropped some exquisite lenses to the used lens marked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the thing.  You're competing against millions and millions of perfect flowers by other contributors.  Even if yours are eventually accepted, your sales from these will be next to zero. 

If you want to know what Stock expects, look at what has been accepted so far.  Do yours measure up?  Are they as good or better than what Stock already has in inventory?  Would you buy them for a commercial project?   To be successful at Stock, you must think about your pictures the way a customer thinks, not like the photographer thinks.  😉

Best advice, find other interesting subjects to photograph.  Something other than plants, trees, flowers, leaves, sunsets and pets.  Adobe Stock has too many of those already.

Point your camera at some ordinary object like a park bench. Photograph it from 10 different angles, distances and settings (30 images).  Take notes.  Examine each one.  Learn what your camera can and can't do. That's how you start to learn photography.

Hope that helps.  Best of luck with your next submission. 🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines