• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OT: Cheap LED Light Panel (DIY)

Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more light on a budget?  I found all I needed at my local dollar store (up to $1.25 now thanks to inflation).  No electrical know-how required.

Grab 8 push-type battery powered LED lights and sufficient AAA batteries to power them (3 x 8 = 24).

image.png

image.png

Also grab a 13 x 9" (33 x 22 cm) metal baking sheet.  For added convenience, look for one with holes in the tray if you can find it.

image.png

Arrange LED lights in an array inside the metal baking tray.  For better adhesion, you can rough up the pan's surface slightly with steel wool or sandpaper (optional).  Attach LEDs with self-adhesive/velcro (included).

Use Chenille Stems (aka pipe cleaners) or nylon Zip Ties to secure your LED light panel to a light stand or tripod.

Light output is adjustable with a few taps and ready to use anywhere.

Cost: $18.75 (excluding nylon Ties which I had on hand).

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media
TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever ! Can you upload a picture if the final product ? How much light does it emit ?

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a picture handy.  But it emits quite a bit of light when the total array is turned on.  I was pleasantly surprised.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if you want a different effect...turn the lights around and use the hole pattern for hard light and some plastic or paper for a dappeled light. Angle the panel for different light strengths through the holes on the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each LED has it's own on/off switch, so adjusting light intensity is a no-brainer.

I haven't used it enough to know for sure yet but I suspect light intensity may drop some as battery strength diminishes.  LEDs typically last a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some Background knowledge on power supply: You could also exchange the batteries for a power supply, if you are technically talented to do so. Batteries normally give geographical independency. If you want using rechargables: NiMH accumulators have a nominal electric potential of 1.2V, meaning 3.6V for three batteries instead of 4.5 V for alkaline batteries. Generally, circuits are done in such a way, that with half of the power, they stop working, meaning here 2.25V. 

As Leds are different from the standard wire bulbs, The either work or don't work. You probably do not see much of the "getting weaker" phenomen as with the standard bulbs. Dimming with leds is done, by switching selectively leds off.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used office led-lamps with goosenecks to get enough light for macro photography. However, it is very difficult to control the light intensity because you have full light or no light.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines