• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Out of gamut colors in vector images

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm wondering how the fellow contributors handle the out of gamut colors in their vector images. Those bright colors are eye catching and nice in RGB mode, but if the customers download the images to print them out, the colors might not look as bright as they look on screen. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an eternal problem. It depends on the skill and the possibilities of the buyer if they can handle that. And they will need to make tradeoffs. So either you supply assets completly in line of the limited CMYK gamut, or you ignore that, and hope that the buyer knows what they do. There is no magical solution to this, unfortunately.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever this issue comes up, it reminds of a workshop I once attended about preparing images for print. The workshop leader explained that blacks in an image should never be 100% black, but to aim for 96% maximum. If you don't do that, the press could start gumming up from attempting to print the deep blacks, a cog might come loose, fly across the room, and you'll end up killing someone. He was joking, of course, but he got his point across.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad he was joking! Haha. Black is another problem. I'll keep that in my mind. Thank you for the quick response! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this aboyt black a joke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, the black part is dead serious. The flying part is a joke. Digital printers won't have that issue, however. They will cut off if it's too much. That may, however, produce the wrong results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for a quick response! Coule we assume most of the buyers here are designers if they're Adobe users? I wish Adobe Stock lets the potential buyers know which image contains print safe colors or something. I try not to use out of gamut colors, but sometimes, that's challenging. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the buyers are probably professionals. But there is a considerable part of hobbyists buying assets occasionally. At some stage, you need, however, to make a decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What @Abambo said. And, of course, except possibly for very specialized printing processes and the types of paper used, printed colors will not look as bright as they do on screen. Those are adjustments our brains need to make on the fly. Images viewed by reflected light are seldom a match for those viewed by transmitted light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines