• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please help me understand the rejection for technical reasons better (new criteria?)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a little break I started to come back to upload more photos. Interestingly I see a much higher rejection rate for 'technical reasons' than before. All images I upload have been succesfully submitted to shutterstock which, at least in the past, were much stricter. Usually getting it accepted by shuttersstock was almost guaranteed acceptance at Adobe stock. No some get accepted and some not almost randomly (even from the same series with same post-processing...)

I looked online, but has the reviews become stricter or new criteria?

Could someone please help me understand what is wrong with attached examples? Any input is helpful. I just don't understand how I need to process them differently.

All photos shot with Fuji X-T3 and process in either C1 or LR...

I appreciate any input as the rejection don't really state anything. Thank you.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Focus is the issue with all 3 of these. On the first image, no part of the bolt is actually in focus. The rope image is underexposed, a small part of one loop of rope might be in focus, and there's a halo on the upper edge of the rope loop which could indicate excessive sharpening or processing. Both of those, the bolt and the rope, have a too narrow DOF. The water lily image is underexposed, and the large blurry foreground with messy leaves isn't very appealing. You might be able to rescue this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Camera equipment and post editing tools are better today than yesterday.  And Adobe Stock is attracting more professionals than before.  So to answer your question, yes.  The quality & technical standards are getting higher, not lower. 

Examine images at 100-300% magnification.  Fix imperfections when possible in Photoshop or Lightroom.  Hopefully your subject is something of commercial value to Stock customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Focus is the issue with all 3 of these. On the first image, no part of the bolt is actually in focus. The rope image is underexposed, a small part of one loop of rope might be in focus, and there's a halo on the upper edge of the rope loop which could indicate excessive sharpening or processing. Both of those, the bolt and the rope, have a too narrow DOF. The water lily image is underexposed, and the large blurry foreground with messy leaves isn't very appealing. You might be able to rescue this image by doing landscape crop of the best focused section in the middle. 

I haven't noticed that Adobe Moderators have become more strict; however I have noticed that I'm much better at inspecting my images in advance to cull out any that simply aren't good enough or need more editing, so my rejection rate is now quite low.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera equipment and post editing tools are better today than yesterday.  And Adobe Stock is attracting more professionals than before.  So to answer your question, yes.  The quality & technical standards are getting higher, not lower. 

Examine images at 100-300% magnification.  Fix imperfections when possible in Photoshop or Lightroom.  Hopefully your subject is something of commercial value to Stock customers.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Martin5DAA ,

The camera's aperture setting is too wide, producing very shallow depth of field, hence most of you frames are out of focus. Additionally the lilies are out of focus and seem to have a vibrancy issue.

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.

I kept the DOF low on all of them intentionally but I guess it's not what Adobe is looking for. I also was told on other stock sites to crop as little and leave the final customer to do the crop to their likeing. But maybe with Adobe I will crop more if they prefere that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I kept the DOF low on all of them intentionally but I guess it's not what Adobe is looking for.

By @Martin5DAA

DOF is a great tool, but the main subject still needs to be in-focus:

Abambo_0-1633026845597.png

In addition, you need to correct the chromatic aberration.

The ropes are underexposed and could effectively get less DOF. As I said, the main subject should be in focus.

The plants-picture is out of focus. I can't really see a natural focus point. In addition, it is underexposed, as you can see on the histogram.

Abambo_1-1633027222063.png

You shouldn't crop too much, but nevertheless, you should get a pleasant framing. That helps with the customer, when he or she is choosing a picture.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines