• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Posters and wall art being on-sold from Adobe Stock?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, just found some of my photos being sold as wall art / posters etc on sites such as www.ukposters.co.uk. The images are watermarked as Adobe Stock, and I assume Fotolia prior to the merge.

My question is do such sites buy just one copy of the image and then on sell many times, or do they do the decent thing and buy a new licence for each poster they sell

just curious

Phil

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Partner sites can offer images of Adobe stock. There is an API for that. Each sale of them reflects in a sale of your image.

A different approach (from the pov of the license buyer) would be to buy an extended license and sell posters (prepared or on demand printing). There you get paid once and the provider has an eternal right to reproduce your image. That's less interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi philinnz

This might be legitimate use depending on the license purchased. My understanding is that Extended License is for unlimited use.  Use of contributor content at Adobe Stock shed some light on the subject. Read the featured links for more details.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, thanks for that. So as I understand it, companies such as ukposters would have to buy an extended licence to sell as they offer a product for resale. But they would only have to buy one licence per image to be able to try to resell it no matter how many copies they sold? So if I see a product that is being sold by them or someone similar, and I did not see a payment for an extended licence would there be a legitimate claim against them for paying the appropriate licence. Now if I do a search in ukposters site for "Wellington" I see a couple of hundred images, all with adobe stock watermarking, and I know that at least 7 of those are my images. But I am not sure that I have seen the appropriate "extended" licence been paid - I might be wrong

A second part is that a "sister" site is europosters.de that also sell equivalent images in another market, eg. Germany. Seeing that it is probably for tax and legal purposes a separate company, should they be buying a second extended licence to do the same thing or are they only buying one licence and distributing it to "sister" companies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

philinnz  wrote

A second part is that a "sister" site is europosters.de that also sell equivalent images in another market, eg. Germany. Seeing that it is probably for tax and legal purposes a separate company, should they be buying a second extended licence to do the same thing or are they only buying one licence and distributing it to "sister" companies

It's one company. There are only different sites for different countries and very clever, the UK site is called "UK posters". They will need to do something in view of Brexit, but I suppose, for the moment they are operating 100% from the Czech Republic.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partner sites can offer images of Adobe stock. There is an API for that. Each sale of them reflects in a sale of your image.

A different approach (from the pov of the license buyer) would be to buy an extended license and sell posters (prepared or on demand printing). There you get paid once and the provider has an eternal right to reproduce your image. That's less interesting.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines