• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Property release algorithm out of control?

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - Hopefully someone from Adobe can respond to this. In the last months, I have had a boatload of images rejected for needing a property release. Almost all of them are nature/real-life shots with no recognizable anything. (See attached examples). At this rate, it seems that Adobe will reject anything that isn't a closeup of a natural object - no larger context will be allowed. ????? 

This can't be right.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mby ,

Hi! I'm not from Adobe, but I will give you my opinion on your grievance.

I do not think that most of your pictures need a property release. However, the 2 first pictures clearly show logos. The third is except for the handwriting probably ok. May be the arrangement together with the hand written signs creates some kind of mark where the moderator thinks that a property release is necessary. It's quite "iconic". The last picture is problematic as that is an artistically modified picture. Normally, such modifications receive a technical error refusal.

The pictures do not represent a high artistic value IMHO. The setting is kind of random and the pictures do not show a very high photographic skill. I think you should start setting up your pictures like still life: 

Abambo_0-1609864576747.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would first like to address the subject of your post...there is no "Property release algorithm" at Adobe Stock. The files were reviewed by humans and judgement calls were made.

With that in mind, I believe there was some human error involved. Only the second file should have been refused for property issues as there is recognizable branding on the crate. I do however agree that the images should not have been approved. As Abambo noted, the files most likely should have been refused for "technical reasons." The moderators have a select number of reasons they can choose from so my assumption is they made a mistake and clicked the wrong button on these. I'm sorry for the confusion and I wish you the very best of luck with your future submissions.

-Mat Hayward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mat. I really appreciate yr response. I hope you can take some time for another post.

First, I should say that I made a mistake by attaching small, thumbnail versions of my submissions, not the actual files - which I thought would be too big. So - I won't do that again. My intent was to show only the image, since my questions had nothing to do with quality.

- That said, I am beginning to understand that the Adobe legal position seems to be that there cannot be any text or logo - no matter how small or any language or legibility or any distance away or even if it does not refer to the subject - in the submissions. OK, I can do that. Seems extreme and unrealistic, but OK.

- In these cases, the 'featured' text in these images are 1) the name of the plant, and 2) the price. Is this disallowed?

- Since I have contact with a live Adobe person, I hope you can explain this:

80% of my last submission group was rejected for -

" this file does not meet the Adobe Stock’s Illustrative Editorial Guidelines.

We are looking for imagery intended to illustrate articles on current events and news, focused on conceptual imagery using real brands and products to convey strong ideas."

Does this mean I should file under 'editorial'? How can I show 'real brands' and not violate policy? 

Are there different standards for Photos vs Illustrations?

I understand that Adobe is trying to acquire imagery that sells. I am really lost as far as providing what they do not want.

Thanks for your time -

Mike Beiriger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

- That said, I am beginning to understand that the Adobe legal position seems to be that there cannot be any text or logo - no matter how small or any language or legibility or any distance away or even if it does not refer to the subject - in the submissions.

YES. If the text represents a name, a logo, trademark or similar.

Direction signs for a town should not be a problem.

" this file does not meet the Adobe Stock’s Illustrative Editorial Guidelines.

We are looking for imagery intended to illustrate articles on current events and news, focused on conceptual imagery using real brands and products to convey strong ideas."

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/illustrative-editorial-content.html

Illustrative editorial files can only be submitted if you have had 100 sales. Look into the link and update if you have additional questions.

Illustrative Editorials pictures are representing a trademark and can be used by the client only for editorial use.That can be a photo or an illustration.

The "non-editorial" pictures need to be able to be used commercially. If you have logos in your picture, the use will be limited and the (image) buyer may be guilty of infringement, especially with high profile trademarks. BTW: the no-logo rule exists also with other stock providers.

Images that sell: https://helpx.adobe.com/support/stock-contributor.html look at "what are buyers looking for" and into the tutorials.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines