• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quality Issues, Whats wrong?

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Contributors, I need some help with my photos. I have tried to upload some photos and everytime I get this quality issue. Can anyone explain what the problem is with my photos and how I should fix it?

Some info how I take my photos. When I am going out to shot some pics I take some photos then I often bring up the brightness and colors in Adobe Lightroom. When I export my pictures they get denied all the time for quality issue. Please explain.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Don't convert your images to greyscale!

Unfortunately, your images are too blurry - out of focus - to pass quality standards. 

DSC_0585-4-notsharp.jpg

All your images show a lack of focus! Probably because your shutter speed is too low to handhold at 1/60 sec. You're getting camera shake.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

1. Underexposed and the flower is not sharp enough.

2. Also underexposed and blurry, and the pole in the middle of the frame is not pleasing compositionally

3. Underexposed and blurry, and the edge of the building on the right adds nothing to the composition 

4. Same as above - appears to be a crop in the previous image

5. Underexposed and very blurry.

zoom in 100-200% on your images and these issues will be readily apparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I should try that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photo 1 is underexposed, out of focus, has little blacks and whites and is poorly cropped.

Check these points in your other photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually uses custom settings in lightroom and fixing the photos in my opinion. I tried to use the auto-settings and now it looks like this:DSC_0553-3.jpgDSC_0585-4.jpg

DSC_0682-3.jpg

I also laid a black and white filter on the last one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't convert your images to greyscale!

Unfortunately, your images are too blurry - out of focus - to pass quality standards. 

DSC_0585-4-notsharp.jpg

All your images show a lack of focus! Probably because your shutter speed is too low to handhold at 1/60 sec. You're getting camera shake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Black & white conversions are not accepted. Read the user manual and help pages to determine what type of processing is acceptable.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Underexposed and the flower is not sharp enough.

2. Also underexposed and blurry, and the pole in the middle of the frame is not pleasing compositionally

3. Underexposed and blurry, and the edge of the building on the right adds nothing to the composition 

4. Same as above - appears to be a crop in the previous image

5. Underexposed and very blurry.

zoom in 100-200% on your images and these issues will be readily apparent.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post editing can only do so much.  Good photos begin with proper lighting and focal distance to ensure that your subject is in full focus relative to your lens size.   Many automatic cameras get confused when light conditions are poor or your frame contains multiple objects.  Using a stable tripod and manual camera settings often produces better results.

See below about the importance of Depth of Field in photography. 

https://photographylife.com/what-is-depth-of-field

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides sharpness (correctly focussed pictures, without camera shake or moving objects, where not appropriate), correct exposure (slight exposure problems can be corrected in Lightroom), correct contrast and little noise, you also have to consider framing. A house, that is just in a corner of the picture 2022-11-26_16-05-18.jpg, or a pylon, or the top of the flowers are framing errors that lead to a "technical issues" refusal.

You can check your exposure, by looking at the histogram (like 0686):

Abambo_3-1669475554340.png

You see that there are no whites, and only a third of the highlights are covered. This is a highly underexposed picture that should have been corrected with the shoot settings. I mostly do bracket shooting so that I have all options when it comes to select the best exposed picture to edit.

As said above, do not convert your pictures to black and white. The buyer can easily convert to bw, but cannot restore the colours.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in my experience the 'Auto' tone setting in LR doesn't provide the best results.  Below is an example of some adjustments I might have used with your photo.  Best regards, John

DSC_0688-2.jpgLR Classic settingsLR Classic settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, in my experience the 'Auto' tone setting in LR doesn't provide the best results.

By @John PDX

The auto tone feature provides good results, ist fast and easy. But indeed, there are always other interpretation possible, and sometimes a manual setting is better.

So, I proceed as the following:

• I use autotone to check what that does to the picture. If I'm happy, I keep it and still do some major adjustments.
  • Most of the times, I look at the sliders, then I return to a zero situation. You need to pay attention: if you do not undo, the saturation/vibration sliders do not reset.
  • I edit the image, by striving to get a result similar to that proposed, but I normaly touch less sliders. And my edit turns out to be, in many cases, better then what was proposed.
  • The same is true with the white balance, where I like to see, what Lightroom proposes, but very often, I correct that or return to zero and move the sliders on my own. 
  • The same is true with the geometric transformations. 

The automatic functions in Lightroom are great, but you should never take those settings for the optimum. They do, however, a great job, when you have hundreds of pictures of an event that you covered, and you do not want to spend a lot of time on each picture. Here I edit only the important ones by "hand", for the rest, I trust the automation and simply mass adjust at the end the blacks and whites. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines