• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Quality Issues?

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will a more-experienced contributor please tell me why this was rejected for "quality issues"?  Also, if we use the "auto option" in Lightroom to correct a photo shot in RAW, will it be accepted?  Please answer both questions.  

Thank you.

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

I always start my LRC editing by hitting the Auto button, then adjust from there by perhaps reducing the highlights a bit more, lift the shadows a bit, set both the white and black point and apply some dehas as needed. I rarely adjust saturation. Watch the histogram as you proceed. But that's not where the editing process ends. You also need to check the white balance, look for chromatic aberration, look for spots in the sky or other stray elements in the composition that need to be removed, etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

The photo is not focused well, the buildings are not vertical, the shadows are under exposed, the blue and red colors are oversaturated, the bottom left corner should be removed, and there is a bird above the chimmney in the clouds that must be removed.

Something like this:

Untitled-1-Edit.jpg

(Notice the details in the shop that are now visible?)

The "auto" option is only a part of  post processing and does not alone guarantee a perfect photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate
quote if we use the "auto option" in Lightroom to correct a photo shot in RAW, will it be accepted? 
By @bernardines74641976

==========

No single tool can magically cure every problem in every image.  Sometimes it take 2 or 3 tools.  Other times it takes 10.  It all depends on the image quality you start with and what corrections are needed.  Auto options are merely a starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always start my LRC editing by hitting the Auto button, then adjust from there by perhaps reducing the highlights a bit more, lift the shadows a bit, set both the white and black point and apply some dehas as needed. I rarely adjust saturation. Watch the histogram as you proceed. But that's not where the editing process ends. You also need to check the white balance, look for chromatic aberration, look for spots in the sky or other stray elements in the composition that need to be removed, etc. Also correct leaning horizon or leaning verticals.

This image has chromatic aberration, very visible along the edge of the tower, and leaning verticals. When I zoom in past 100% the focus seems a bit soft.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response; I appreciate your taking time to critque this photo.  My biggest fear is that I'll adjust my photos too much and they'll be rejected for over-processing. Your feedback is most helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photo is not focused well, the buildings are not vertical, the shadows are under exposed, the blue and red colors are oversaturated, the bottom left corner should be removed, and there is a bird above the chimmney in the clouds that must be removed.

Something like this:

Untitled-1-Edit.jpg

(Notice the details in the shop that are now visible?)

The "auto" option is only a part of  post processing and does not alone guarantee a perfect photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your constructive critique; I sincerely appreciate your time.  Now I know what to correct in this photo.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote if we use the "auto option" in Lightroom to correct a photo shot in RAW, will it be accepted? 
By @bernardines74641976

==========

No single tool can magically cure every problem in every image.  Sometimes it take 2 or 3 tools.  Other times it takes 10.  It all depends on the image quality you start with and what corrections are needed.  Auto options are merely a starting point.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, your responses to my questions were exceedingly helpful.  I learned more from you in these two responses than in hours of watching videos and even photography courses.  I'll deinitely apply the advice I received from you and Ralph L. in the future.  I sincerely appreciate your taking time to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines