• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recognisable propery

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently took some photos of the big Murray Cod at Swan Hill and submitted them the images were rejected. With no obvious reason.

One assumption is that I did not include a property release, so I made enquiries from Swan Hill council and their reply was that the statue is a public asset.

The model was originally created as a prop for a movie.

My question is it worth my while to resubmit as the council also would like to use any images that I am taking. 

TOPICS
Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's less than 120 years old, it needs a release. That's Adobe's rule. Clearly, as a movie prop, it isn't that old. If the council won't give a release, the concept of "public asset" is not defined in law or by Adobe Sstock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, if you did want to get a release, don't talk to the council - they don't own the copyright. Owning the land where something is doesn't give you copyright. Paying for the thing doesn't give you copyright (usually, though the contract to make it could assign it to someone else). The copyright rests with the creator. The internet is, as usual, vague about who that is. Some say the big fish was made in 1967 by Duralite Company in Melbourne, and paid for by Tocumwal Chamber of Commerce. Some say it was made for the movie Eight Ball in 1992. No doubt there are other fishy stories. Basically, public art is rarely a suitable subject for stock, no matter what the local council thinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two big cods, one at Swan hill was made as a prop for a movie and the big Cod at Tocumwal was commissioned by the ladies axuillary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also in contact with the Tocumwal council. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to assume why it was refused. The reason was given. If a release is needed, the image usually lands in the Reminder tab. If it was refused, it lands in the Not Accepted tab where the reason is shown. 

Because this artwork is permanetly mounted, it falls under the 120 yr rule. This may vary according to region. This is still no protection for you. In some countries, the photo must have been made from the sidewalk or street. Not in a park. 

If it is not permanetly mounted, you always need a release. As @Test Screen Name said, the owner is the artist/designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the comment said as Not Accepted, and no other reason was given.

I have since possibly found the person who designed the movie prop and I have emailed them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, there is always a reason: 

• Quality issuse
  • Non-compliant image
  • Intelectual Property refusal
  • Similar Images alredy submitted
  • etc.

You do not need to guess on that. You may need to guess where the IP is. Or what quality issue the moderators did see. etc etc.

It is worth noting, however, that you may have more than one issue and all issues may lead to a refusal, but the moderator refuses on the first issue they see.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realise that there may be more issues, in part I haven't mastered the editing on adjusting highlights as I think the highlights are a bit blown out.

From what i can tell the image is sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are new to stock, you should consider these resources: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/tutorials.html
Please read the contributor user manual for more information on Adobe stock contributions: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html
See here for rejection reasons: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html
and especially quality and technical issues: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines