• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rejected for Technical Issues

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amateur photographer here. Had my entire first batch of photos approved but am now having a handful rejected for technical issues from my second batch. First time for rejections, so looking to learn from my mistakes. Any insight would be much appreciated. My best guesses below.

• Read that black and white photos are generally not prefered to the full color version. Completely understand, but under certain situations I think the color would actually detract or add little value to the photo. 
  • Maybe licensing issue for the red sculpture? But I figure it's framed tight enough in that it's not clearly recongnizable. Looking at it again, maybe it's a bit "dirty". 
  • The roof birds I'm lost on. Maybe the angled one needs better white balance for the clouds?
TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

1. The birds are not in sharp focus 

2. Many elements are out of focus and I'm having a hard time imagining any commercial applications for such an image.

3. Underexposed and the bolt is not in sharp focus 

4. Black & white not accepted 

5. Birds not in focus 

6. Black and white not accepted 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

First of all, look carefully at your first photo.

I am going to be honest with you. The composition is not very well. What is the subject? The sky? The birds are way to small in the composition. They are not focused sharply and some are underexposed. The wire serves no purpose and should be removed. 

Your sky is noisy and I see two sensor dust spots.

Apply this info to your other photos and do not submit black and white images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. The birds are not in sharp focus 

2. Many elements are out of focus and I'm having a hard time imagining any commercial applications for such an image.

3. Underexposed and the bolt is not in sharp focus 

4. Black & white not accepted 

5. Birds not in focus 

6. Black and white not accepted 

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jill,

Thanks for the response and input. Would you say that black and white are non-starters? I only ask because there are plenty of black and white content available. See here.

Much appreciated,

Randolph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the examples are graphic designs (vectors?), and I'm not sure the same rules apply to those. Adobe Stock also acquired millions of images when they bought Fotolia and it's possible that B&W was allowed then. The "Dos and Don'ts" includes this statement:
Don’t: Convert your image to black & white or duotone. Buyers want the maximum flexibility provided by the full color image. 

(Note the word "image".)

But perhaps it is not a hard and fast rule. As you've certainly noticed by now there is a certain level of inconsistency among Moderators.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jill,

Thanks again. I'll probably stick to the dos and don'ts more closely then.

Good news is that the rest of this batch was approved. 

Cheers,

Randolph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In additon to what everyone else said, your "roof birds" photos have a noticable dust spot on the sensor, visible in the sky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Madscica,

Thanks for pointing that out. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it. But now I know something else to look out for. 

Cheeers,

Randolph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, soft focus and noise/artifacts were the main technical flaws that stood out when viewing at 100%.  Soft focus & shallow dof are great for an artistic print, but not so much for the main subjects of stock photos.

For both of the roof bird photos, the birds didn't appear to be in focus when viewing at 100%.

With the red sculpture, the bolts in the foreground just to the left are clearly not in focus, and the photo appeared to have a lot of noise and artifacts when zooming in on the details.

For the most part I think black and white images are discouraged and color images are preferred, but I do have a few in my portfolio.

I hope that helps!

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George,

Thanks for the comments. I've been cognizant to zoom in on these before uploading. However, I just realized that I wasn't zooming in enough. Now I'll be paying attention to the zoom percentage in Photoshop. 

Randolph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are most welcome!

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd certainly need a release for the sculpture - since you are stating you have all rights to your pictures. That isn't the rejection reason, but Adobe only reject for one reason at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TSN,

I definitely do not have the rights to these pictures, if needed. I wouldn't be able to even upload them otherwise. With the sculpture shot, I was assuming that I didn't need it as I don't think it's easily recognizable. It's probably one of the more subjective approval criteria. But regardless, like the other responders, the photo wasn't up to par.

Thanks,

Randolph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, look carefully at your first photo.

I am going to be honest with you. The composition is not very well. What is the subject? The sky? The birds are way to small in the composition. They are not focused sharply and some are underexposed. The wire serves no purpose and should be removed. 

Your sky is noisy and I see two sensor dust spots.

Apply this info to your other photos and do not submit black and white images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ralph,

Blunt, but much appreciated. Still honing my eye to pick up the issues. Regarding the composition, my thought that it was leaving space for potential copy. Noted on the noise and dust spots.

Many thanks,

Randolph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Y) me gustan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gracias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines