Copied

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this image was rejected? thanks

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

@jerrym75319989 Immediately I can see a lot of sensor spots. When is the last time you did a full sensor cleaning?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Hi @jerrym75319989 ,

Your file is under exposed, thus the black in the tree area. Under exposed shots produce grain/noise, and that is the case with this file. It is not just luminance that is there, but also color noise. If you zoom to 200% you will notice that the clouds are not all grey, but has multicolor spots. This is particularly noticeable in the darker area. See zoomed clip below:

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1625202841905.png

Use the noise reduction slides in either Photoshop or Lightroom, if its either of those you use, to correc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Hello,

It is underexposed. The camera metered for the sunlight, but in doing so has underexposed everywhere else. Composition-wise, the tree at the bottom right isn't good. It unbalances the photo. Too much weight (visually) on that side.

I wouldn't try to correct this photo, but to try again and think more about composition and exposure.

Have a read of this from Adobe about how to create better photos:
https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/how-to/tips-stock-image-acceptance.html?set=stock--fundamentals--adobe-stock-contributor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jerrym75319989 Immediately I can see a lot of sensor spots. When is the last time you did a full sensor cleaning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know you could clean the sensor ,unless your talking about the resetting on the camera function I have done that 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sensor definitely needs to be cleaned from time to time. Some photographers prefer to send the camera in to a camera shop to have it professionally cleaned in order to avoid the chance that you'll scratch the sensor, but it can be costly. Alternatively, you can buy your own cleaning kit for $20-30, find a video on YouTube and do it yourself - very carefully. My last trip before COVID was to Egypt where we were in a sandstorm more than once. My cameras and lenses were all filthy, and there were noticeable spots on the sensor, so I spent quite some time cleaning them all. I also spent way too much time in Lightroom and Photoshop removing sensor spots from many of the images from that trip...

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ty I will look into doing that, I have a feeling if that is the issue it must only be visible in certain conditions sice i have had alot of images accepted using the same camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be spots throughout the image that aren't noticeable, but blue sky is when they really show up. Zoom in your images to 100% and scroll all around the sky so you can fix those pesky spots before submitting them to Adobe Stock. In fact, shooting a picture of the blue sky is how you test your sensor after cleaning to be sure you've cleaned it properly.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Spots are visible when you target the sky, mostly. When targeting grass or similar, they won't jump to attention.

To check the sensor, take a long exposure against a white background and out of focus. You can take the picture handheld, even if your exposure is 10s, as the spots don't move.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you can, and I mean beyond the camera's "auto clean" mode, and it's often done for you by a professional camera tech unless you are good with mastering such detailed things like applying solutions on swabs. There are plenty of online guides that can take you through the steps along with simple ways to do some testing to see if you have sensor dust in the first place. Some cameras have a menu option to manually clean your camera or look in the user guide. Also, it could be your lens that isn't clean. Of course, you can try to remove spots in post, too. I hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My camera in an e-m5 olympus and it does have a sensor clean in the settings I have done that , and I always wipe my lens before shooting but I think maybe I might try to internally clean it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, espcially if that is an older camera you've been using for a long time, I'd advise doing a lot of research first and getting different opinions on how to go about it. You can cause damage quickly and there is no going back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jain about the very noticeable sensor spots (or perhaps lens dirt); in addition there are blown out highlights, and deep shadows with no detail whatsoever. Due to the darkness of the images, it's difficult to zoom in and see if it is properly focused.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jerrym75319989 ,

Your file is under exposed, thus the black in the tree area. Under exposed shots produce grain/noise, and that is the case with this file. It is not just luminance that is there, but also color noise. If you zoom to 200% you will notice that the clouds are not all grey, but has multicolor spots. This is particularly noticeable in the darker area. See zoomed clip below:

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1625202841905.png

Use the noise reduction slides in either Photoshop or Lightroom, if its either of those you use, to correct the noise/grain and to even out the color. If you use other software, that's o'kay. Likely they'll also have noise reduction tools. That should take care of the spots. I do not think the black area will be able to correct. I suggest in the future you make sure that exposure is correct before taking the shot.  

Best wishes

JG

Photographer and Nutrition Author

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It is underexposed. The camera metered for the sunlight, but in doing so has underexposed everywhere else. Composition-wise, the tree at the bottom right isn't good. It unbalances the photo. Too much weight (visually) on that side.

I wouldn't try to correct this photo, but to try again and think more about composition and exposure.

Have a read of this from Adobe about how to create better photos:
https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/how-to/tips-stock-image-acceptance.html?set=stock--fundamentals--adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your usefull input I appreciate it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines